What's new

HomePlug Monitor SW - release announcement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lazna

New Around Here
We just made generic monitoring program for HomePlug devices. It perform realtime monitoring of HomePlug network radio parameters such as SNR, Attenuation and Bit per Carrier. More features are scheduled to the future. Testers comments are welcome!

You can find the program here

L.

Last edited:
We just made generic monitoring program for HomePlug devices. It perform realtime monitoring of HomePlug network radio parameters such as SNR, Attenuation and Bit per Carrier. More features are scheduled to the future. Testers comments are welcome!

You can find the program here

L.
Pre-Alpha??? Shouldn't you keep it in-house until post-alpha, that is, no known bugs is rigorous testing with what you have?

Pre-Alpha??? Shouldn't you keep it in-house until post-alpha, that is, no known bugs is rigorous testing with what you have?

Hi stevech, thanks for reply. Pre-alpha does not mean development level rather displayed numbers precision. AFAIK there are not any other generic program to display such data so I need to tests on various devices/chipsets, and I have only few boxes. So every try ane shared results are helpful.

Did you try to run HPM? On what device? What about results?

L.

BTW: There are few bugs mentioned in readme.txt and in program forum.

Last edited:
URL says ethernet over coax. That's MoCA, right? Whereas the topic here has been HomePlug monitoring... which uses the power wiring as the medium. Is it simply a misnamed URL?

Nope.

HomePlug is technology to modulate ethernet to frequency up to 88Mhz and adapt it to other metallic transport medium but twisted pairs. Powerlines and coax cables are often used as trasport medium but could be use on other medium also, here with telephone wire http://hackaday.com/2012/04/18/ethernet-over-telephone-wire.

Qualcomm, as major homeplug chips producer, declare for 7400 series following:

"Supports up to 500 Mbps PHY rates over powerline and 700 Mbps PHY rates over coax"
See here: http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/QCA7400.pdf

There are few technologies how to inject ethernet into coaxial cables: MoCa (little expensive, too wide spectrum), DOCSIS (too expensive, too wide spectrum) and finaly there is homeplug which is relatively cheap, but main goal of this technology is to use only low radio spectrum, bellow FM radio. This feature (with it`s good price of course) allow this technology to be massively injected to TV wiring in the buildings and DO NOT interfere with terestrial TV or FM Radio signal. But most people do not know about it, so I trying edificate a bit ;-)

BTW: There is MUCH MORE stable electromagnetic environment in the coax cable, compare to powerline, so two standard homeplug boxes can be used up to about 1300m of cable. Compare this with powerline working distances.

Last edited:
I downloaded and ran HomePlug Monitor. I have no idea if the info it provided is good or not though. I'm using the TP-Link TL-PA511KIT. My router is an Asus N66U "Dark Knight". My ethernet cables are CAT6a.

http://i.imgur.com/OZ3ECs7.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!