What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.0 -Jul 10, 2022- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Full log in case you want to take a closer look: vpnmon-r2.log

Don't know why the log dates are jumbled

View attachment 42681
The log is written to sequentially. I think you might be having some kind of time issue on your end?

It looks like it happened when one of your wan connections went down... Perhaps a failover isp issue?

The log is written to sequentially. I think you might be having some kind of time issue on your end?
Yes there was an issue with my DNS server, saw it in syslog as well, got corrected after a successful NTP sync

Hi all.

Just updated amtm to latest and tried update of vpnmon through it...an error occurred. I was running vpnmon v1.5 No big deal. ran vpnmon from command line to update from there.

OK. Went through config update using existing config file. Error popped up at the very end when going to save configuration:

./vpnmon-r2.sh: line 1308: syntax error: unexpected "(" (expecting "fi")

Keep up the great work!

UPDATE: Just tried it again and it worked. Odd. Nothing to see here...carry on...

Me again...I just accidentally started vpnmon using screen and a second session was started.

Then when trying to reconnect it showed there were two sessions.

Is this something that should be handled? I'm not sure if running multiple will cause issues...I think it might. Thoughts:
  • checking if there is an already running screen and then preventing running another?
  • killing the old one and starting a new one?
  • asking what to do?
  • other? haha
I had to lookup how to switch to each session individually or to kill the running sessions. The following is for those looking for the info quickly:

When there's more than one, something like this is listed:

24759.vpnmon-r2 (Detached)
29450.vpnmon-r2 (Detached)

Then, you can switch to either using the number in front with "screen -r 24759", for example.

You can list all screen sessions with "screen -ls"

I'm on a roll :)

When I run vpnmon, I see my 5 VPN slots. I'm connected to one of them, 3 show a time in ms, which I think are the ping times. The last one shows "OFFLINE" in red. I checked and my VPN Provider changed the servers. I changed the assignment for slot 4 and noticed this:
  • while I was messing with the settings for slot 4, vpnmon showed ping error or something like that...good
  • I was wondering if the new settings would be picked up or vpnmon would need to be restarted. on the next cycle, it was picked up...great
Question: when randomly selecting the next slot, does it avoid choosing the OFFLINE slot or does it keep randomly selecting a slot until a connection is made?

Stuck on this screen, last log entry is from 12hrs prior, Whats wrong ?
Yes, I have wan fail over, 2 separate connections, its courtesy of Dual Wan monitor script by @Ranger802004

@Viktor Jaep just chiming in to say I also saw that screen when I tried to have a quick play with the Dual WAN Monitor script the other day ... I didn't have time to troubleshoot and had to roll back to a saved Config/JFFS pair ... so no logs saved unfortunately.

I had plugged in my 4G USB stick (which is my backup if main broadband goes down), switched on Dual WAN mode and installed the @Ranger802004 script, then rebooted.

So just confirming what @JAX1337 saw and that there may be a clash with that script and/or dual WAN mode perhaps?

Was going to have another play when I had more time and try and document it a lot better but @JAX1337 beat me to it :D

Me again...I just accidentally started vpnmon using screen and a second session was started.

Is this something that should be handled? I'm not sure if running multiple will cause issues...I think it might. Thoughts:
  • checking if there is an already running screen and then preventing running another?
  • asking what to do?
  • other? haha
I had to lookup how to switch to each session individually or to kill the running sessions. The following is for those looking for the info quickly:

Then, you can switch to either using the number in front with "screen -r 24759", for example.

Definitely a good idea... to see if another screen session already exists out there with the tag "vpnmon-r2"... can't help it if people start and name their own though. I'll definitely look into it, and glad you figured out how to connect to one of your detached screens. ;)

I'm on a roll :)

When I run vpnmon, I see my 5 VPN slots. I'm connected to one of them, 3 show a time in ms, which I think are the ping times. The last one shows "OFFLINE" in red. I checked and my VPN Provider changed the servers. I changed the assignment for slot 4 and noticed this:
  • while I was messing with the settings for slot 4, vpnmon showed ping error or something like that...good
  • I was wondering if the new settings would be picked up or vpnmon would need to be restarted. on the next cycle, it was picked up...great
Question: when randomly selecting the next slot, does it avoid choosing the OFFLINE slot or does it keep randomly selecting a slot until a connection is made?
So at this point, its not smart enough to not choose the offline slot. That's more of a visual heads-up for you to be aware that one of your servers isn't there. vpnmon-r2 will try to connect to it, fail, and when it sees it was unsuccessful, reconnect randomly to a slot that will actually work.

@Viktor Jaep just chiming in to say I also saw that screen when I tried to have a quick play with the Dual WAN Monitor script the other day ... I didn't have time to troubleshoot and had to roll back to a saved Config/JFFS pair ... so no logs saved unfortunately.

I had plugged in my 4G USB stick (which is my backup if main broadband goes down), switched on Dual WAN mode and installed the @Ranger802004 script, then rebooted.

So just confirming what @JAX1337 saw and that there may be a clash with that script and/or dual WAN mode perhaps?

Was going to have another play when I had more time and try and document it a lot better but @JAX1337 beat me to it :D
Thanks for the heads-up, @Stephen Harrington... I've been going through my wancheck code, and it's definitely not written to handle a situation where 2 WAN connections are running at the same time. It's made for having one or the other up, while the other is down. I'll need to rework this piece a bit, and hopefully make it a little more compliant with the dual-wan script functionality. You dual-wan guys, always throwing sticks in my spokes! :p If you have any screenshots to share, feel free... or if it looks exactly like @JAX1337's issue, no worries.

For all my dual-wan/failover friends (@JAX1337 @Stephen Harrington)... could you please try this beta, and let me know if this clears up your dual-wan display issues? If you wouldn't mind putting it through the ringer, and failing over, failing back, and seeing if everything looks right? I wish I could test this, but I don't have a secondary wan to play with. :(

VPNMON-R2 v2.01b
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Revert back to v2.0 release (incase you need to)
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.0.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Last edited:

• asking what to do?
  • other? haha

@Kal1975 ... just wanted to let you know of another screen trick (shortcut). If you only have one screen window running, it will default to opening up your only screen window by typing:

Code:
screen -r

Thanks for the heads-up, @Stephen Harrington... I've been going through my wancheck code, and it's definitely not written to handle a situation where 2 WAN connections are running at the same time. It's made for having one or the other up, while the other is down. I'll need to rework this piece a bit, and hopefully make it a little more compliant with the dual-wan script functionality. You dual-wan guys, always throwing sticks in my spokes! :p If you have any screenshots to share, feel free... or if it looks exactly like @JAX1337's issue, no worries.
If you need help on this portion just let me know, you already know I’m willing to help.

For all my dual-wan/failover friends (@JAX1337 @Stephen Harrington)... could you please try this beta, and let me know if this clears up your dual-wan display issues? If you wouldn't mind putting it through the ringer, and failing over, failing back, and seeing if everything looks right? I wish I could test this, but I don't have a secondary wan to play with. :(

VPNMON-R2 v2.01b
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Revert back to v2.0 release (incase you need to)
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.0.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"
Testing it, will let you know

edit

Still seeing those weird messages

1657647277384.png

Getting there. At least it assigned the correct interface and attempted a ping... Thanks! I'll send another try shortly.

The message starts displaying from the second WAN check, don't know if it helps

The message starts displaying from the second WAN check, don't know if it helps
OK let's give this one a shot please! :)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

OK let's give this one a shot please! :)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.01b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

This time error messages seem to have disappeared, but the script takes atleast 10 sec to show WAN1 everytime there is check
and WAN 1 ping seems off
1657651016604.png

This time error messages seem to have disappeared, but the script takes atleast 10 sec to show WAN1 everytime there is check
and WAN 1 ping seems offView attachment 42712
Yey, that's good news... OK, yeah, when the ping=1, then that means it's failing.... Is your dual-wan set up for load balancing or failover?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!