What's new

Host server local DNS for OpenVPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bufflehead

Occasional Visitor
Good morning,
I have an ASUS RT-AC86U home router running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7. I am running an OpenVPN server, and I am connecting remotely from a Windows 10 OpenVPN client. When connected to my home network (domain name "pitfall") from my OpenVPN client, I can only access resources on my home LAN using their IP address. Naturally I prefer to access those resources (my home desktop system for example) as "pitfall.desktop" or simply "desktop".

I have found a lot of threads about related DNS issues, but none that specifically address this issue. Any help here would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Mark

Make sure the OpenVPN server is configured to "Advertise DNS to clients". That's what pushes your home DNS server to the clients.

In addition to that, use the FQDN (i.e. machine.domain), not just machine, as your local resolver might not be aware of that domain.

Make sure the OpenVPN server is configured to "Advertise DNS to clients". That's what pushes your home DNS server to the clients.
Thank you, I have tried that, unfortunetely it is not working. Here are some relevant settings from my vpn server config:

Interface: tun
Protocol: udp
Vpn subnet: 10.8.0.0/255.255.255.0 (different from LAN subnet)
Advertise DNS to clients: yes

Are you able to use the home DNS server for resolution at all? IOW, does the following work?

Code:
nslookup google.com 192.168.1.1

I'm assuming 192.168.1.1 is your router's LAN ip. If NOT, adjust accordingly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!