What's new

hostnames of vpn clients not shown on pi-hole

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have problem with hostnames beeing not resolved on pi-hole when I am connected over VPN (pi-hole shows IP adress of client, not hostname). I think that there is some problem with configuration on router.
My configuration:
  • RT-AC68U with newest merlin firmware
  • Pi-Hole (and unbound but this does not matter, as only pi-hole knows about it) on raspberry pi in lan
Blocking etc works fine for all clients, only problem is with hostnames of VPN clients (VPN is configured with default 10.8.0.0, vpn clients use proper DNS server of pi-hole/unbound)

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 10.49.09.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 10.49.05.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 10.48.16.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 10.47.29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 10.47.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 10.47.29.png
    501.2 KB · Views: 108
This is expected behaviour for a tun connection. The VPN client isn't getting it's IP address from dnsmasq and isn't part of the LAN, therefore its name isn't registered in dnsmasq's DNS server.

This is expected behaviour for a tun connection. The VPN client isn't getting it's IP address from dnsmasq and isn't part of the LAN, therefore its name isn't registered in dnsmasq's DNS server.
Thank you. I didn't knew that.
Any workaround? tap interface (if yes, I am not sure if I want to make such change...)?

I don't know of a good solution. A tap connection would probably work but that brings its own issues.

I'm assuming the VPN client is a single device, like a PC or mobile? If it's a LAN to LAN connection you have more options by using the DNS servers on both LANs (local and remote).

Last edited:
It’s client server, but have many clients, and that’s why I would like to have better recognition of hostnames and what is blocked/allowed for particular clients.