What's new

How bad are the AC86U 2.4Ghz issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The issues are very bad. People are more likely to write a review to complain than to praise, but with Merlin etc these routers have a HUGE following so discussion comes in all forms. Despite that, anywhere you look will be littered with complaints about the WiFi issue, and then a bunch of people trying to defend it. IMO when someone points out their device is defective, a bunch of people replying saying theirs has been rock solid for x months doesn’t really help anyone. The issue exists, it’s not collusion between hundreds (or thousands?) of people around the internet and world trying to bash a product. It may have existed before a specific date like some have mentioned, but considering the age of the device that date would affect a LOT of people.

Low reliability history of AC86U is one reason I don't recommend buying this router. Slow firmware updates is another reason. AC86U usually gets updates one of the last, even after much older AC68U variants. This indicates software issues. When it works, it's a very good performer though.

When tested with a phone, perhaps with Asus power saving is correctly working. Cheap MediaTek SoC on DIR-882 doesn't care. This gives you the wrong impression the router is not performing well. In reality it may be doing a better job. You test with a wrong device.
With your limited hardware and configuration knowledge I can't guess what your issue is. Wireless drivers come from the SoC manufacturer, not from Asus or Netgear. Routers built around the same SoC run the same drivers and have very similar performance. AC86U is very similar to Archer C2300 and both are excellent performers. AC68U is very similar to R7000 and both have about the same performance. Some clients may work better with some routers, but it doesn't mean the router is bad. I personally never test anything on a phone. Phone/tablet radios are tuned for power efficiency, not speed.
So Mr expert , if it is the power save mode on phone, then why am I getting 200 Mbps on laptop too? I have a WiFi card intel 9260 AC capable of reaching speeds up to 330 Mbps, with the Dlink router set up in the room I could get 330 Mbps.

It doesn't matter what chip it has, what matters is how each manufacture has implemented the design to give a good end result.

Bringing up the power save mode into the conversation.
Looks like you are just trying super hard to defend a brand. Only a fanboy would do.

I have an Asus laptop btw and plan on buying only Asus when it's time to buy a new laptop but the same can't be said for their routers.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!