What's new

Solved How bad is AiMesh via Wi-Fi? AC68U + xxxx

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brambil

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,
I have a RT-AC68U with latest Merlin firmaware, on the WAN port there is my ISP modem.

My flat has a "U" layout, in the middle of the U there is the staircase landing of the condominium.
The main router is on the East side, now I have two Asus Zen WiFi CD6 as two AiMesh nodes using WiFi (each node is connected to the main router), but since I started use them I notice frequently problem on all the Wifi client. If I disconnect one of AiMesh node the situation is better but sometimes I still notice problems on ping or disconnection on some clients and I have two rooms not covered.

I'm thinking to buy a new RT-AX68U to use as main router and put the actual AC68U as AiMesh node to cover all the house with WiFi (making some tests the wifi coverage of AC68U is better than Zen WiFi CD6), but I still have a dubt. Will I resolve my problem?
In particular I need more stability and not loose connection when I am connected to the node.

Second question: speed prediction?

I have 200/20Mbs FTTC connection, which speed can I expect using the AC-68U as AiMesh node? Now I notice that the WiFi network is slower if I have an AiMesh on, even if I am connected to the main router (120/20 in WiFi 5Ghz at 3m from the main router, 30/20 on the AiMesh node. 180/20Mbs if I switch off the AiMesh node). I would expect to have the full speed if I am connected to the main router, I can accept a small reduction if I am connected to the AiMesh node, but I need to eliminate the disconnection problem
A cable between main router and the node is not a solution, eventually I have an RP-AC51 now used as media bridge for the hi-fi, maybe I could connect the AC-68U WAN port to it, could this solution improve AiMesh performance?

Dear all,
I have a RT-AC68U with latest Merlin firmaware, on the WAN port there is my ISP modem.

My flat has a "U" layout, in the middle of the U there is the staircase landing of the condominium.
The main router is on the East side, now I have two Asus Zen WiFi CD6 as two AiMesh nodes using WiFi (each node is connected to the main router), but since I started use them I notice frequently problem on all the Wifi client. If I disconnect one of AiMesh node the situation is better but sometimes I still notice problems on ping or disconnection on some clients and I have two rooms not covered.

I'm thinking to buy a new RT-AX68U to use as main router and put the actual AC68U as AiMesh node to cover all the house with WiFi (making some tests the wifi coverage of AC68U is better than Zen WiFi CD6), but I still have a dubt. Will I resolve my problem?
In particular I need more stability and not loose connection when I am connected to the node.

Second question: speed prediction?

I have 200/20Mbs FTTC connection, which speed can I expect using the AC-68U as AiMesh node? Now I notice that the WiFi network is slower if I have an AiMesh on, even if I am connected to the main router (120/20 in WiFi 5Ghz at 3m from the main router, 30/20 on the AiMesh node. 180/20Mbs if I switch off the AiMesh node). I would expect to have the full speed if I am connected to the main router, I can accept a small reduction if I am connected to the AiMesh node, but I need to eliminate the disconnection problem
A cable between main router and the node is not a solution, eventually I have an RP-AC51 now used as media bridge for the hi-fi, maybe I could connect the AC-68U WAN port to it, could this solution improve AiMesh performance?
Well then if you are unwilling to join the two devices via any hardwired option...
You will basically cut your speed in half because of the wireless overhead (aka backhaul) to communicate between router<-->mesh-node
Sorry.
IMO, It would be nice if manufacturers were more upfront about this simple logic or fact.

EDIT: perhaps I shouldn't have simply said "speed in half" as it likely won't be exact but from any potential or maximum bandwidth standpoint... a considerable portion of it will go towards router traffic-control. And what I personally notice more on a node is the additional latency (or delay) rather than the speed decrease.

Last edited:
Nobody can predict what will actually happen in your, specific, WiFi environment.

But where I would start is to get an RT-AX68U or an RT-AX86U (depending on your budget and if you'll be able to sell your old routers, see below) and test in your home.

In the right environment, as with my customer's home, below, a single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AC86Us. And, in what I'm assuming is a larger area than your apartment has.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

As you have seen already, do not mix the class of routers you're using, if you want the most stable network possible.

If absolutely needed, a second RT-AX68U/RT-AX86U would be suggested. But, I would use location, orientation, and antennae placement options (in 3D space, be sure you use height in your experiments), when optimizing a single router first.

When you get a stable network with the new router(s), sell the old equipment to lessen the total cost.

Well then if you are unwilling to join the two devices via any hardwired option...
You will basically cut your speed in half because of the wireless overhead (aka backhaul) to communicate between router<-->mesh-node

Thanks.

What I'm experiencing is that one router in mesh slow ALL clients, not only the client connected to the net through the node (that I know and is logical). This is the reason why I was thinking about use the AC-51 as client for backhaul connection of RT-AC68.

In the center of the U of the apartment there is the elevator tube, that is terrible for Wi-Fi signal. If using only the AX I can cover all the apartment would be perfect.

I'll buy RT-AX68U, it's 169,99 € on Amazon.

Thanks.

What I'm experiencing is that one router in mesh slow ALL clients, not only the client connected to the net through the node (that I know and is logical). This is the reason why I was thinking about use the AC-51 as client for backhaul connection of RT-AC68.

In the center of the U of the apartment there is the elevator tube, that is terrible for Wi-Fi signal. If using only the AX I can cover all the apartment would be perfect.

I'll buy RT-AX68U, it's 169,99 € on Amazon.
What you are experiencing is also logical.
If adding even ONE Mesh node...
It requires the original router to use some of the bandwidth that it otherwise could have used for the WiFi client(s) to go faster.
But from the numbers you posted it looks more to me like maybe the client also went from 5G to 2.4.
Anyways good luck to you...
There are soooo many variables which affect wifi performance.
IMO it's best to start testing with devices close to the router (as you did) & run some speed tests.
Writing down the results (Distance from router & speed achieved) but also pay attention especially for people who are not running separate SSIDs for their 5G & 2.4.
A client-device Auto-switching between 5G & 2.4 will make a mockery of any attempted speed tests that you documented.
Obviously the WiFi speeds & range vary considerably between the two radios.
You can basically go from "a/c" or "ax" type speeds down to "n"speeds or even worse :-(
Isn't auto-magic GREAT!!!

EDIT: Thinking about your situation further... what you were experiencing could actually have been.
ONE particularly slow client.
I'm fairly certain... older clients can also drag down the speed of the network to that of the slowest device.

But best of luck to you, hope it works out well.

Just an update.
Monday morning is arrived the AX68U, since mid-afternoon I'm running the AX68U as main router and AC68U ad AiMesh node.

1. The AC68U is in a different location that the previous CD6. Where before I need 2 CD6 to get the all coverage, now with just the old-but-good AC68U I have a good signal everywhere.
2. After 36h of running the performance on 5Ghz connected to the AX68U (main router) are 180Mbs/20Mbs. Internal speedtest of the AX68U says 190Mbs/20Mbs. Before in this situation I had 120/20. On the AC68U (connected using 5Ghz as backaul) I have 120/20. It seems that 120/20 is the best I can achieve using 5Ghz WiFi of AC68U.
3. ping from a wifi client of aimesh node is 1ms slower than a client of AX68U, that is 1ms slower the one of a client directly connected to my ISP modem. (8ms AiMesh-node client, 7ms router-client, 6ms from router).

So, I'm very satisfied.

As test I tried to switch on the CD6 with ethernet backaul connection ... speed decrease terribly, I think that at least one of the two CD6 has a problem. Since are still under warranty I will ask to Asus for a check. However I'm very satisfied with this new setup.

Maybe in the weekend I will make some more tests (such install Entware on AC68U and test speed between AX68U and AC68U using iperf) and check if if using RP-AC51 as WiFi Media Bridge for AC68U backaul connection can assure some improvement to the speed inside LAN.

Thanks to all for contributing to solve my problem and to Merlin for developing his custom firmaware.

Just to update and share my tests.

iperf between AX68U (main router) and AC68U (node) connected through 5Ghz.
Code:
[  1] local 192.168.0.1 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.254 port 59068
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  1] 0.00-10.01 sec   176 MBytes   148 Mbits/sec

iperf between AX68U (main router) and a client connected through 5Ghz to AC68U (node), which is connected through 5Ghz to the main router.
Code:
[  3] local 192.168.0.1 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.10 port 35312
[  3] 0.00-10.09 sec   157 MBytes   130 Mbits/sec

iperf between a client and the AC68U witch is the node of the client.
Code:
[  2] local 192.168.0.254 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.10 port 60954
[  2] 0.00-10.06 sec   202 MBytes   168 Mbits/sec

So I can assume that aiMesh system "eats" about 20Mbits/sec , 15% of the brandwidth.

After 5 days I'm really satisfied about stability and quality of the signal. I can make videocall without trouble from everywhere, before (with the CD6 nodes) I need to be under the main router.