What's new

How can I solve a WiFi interference problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The phone we are using does not support ad.

We are working on cabling everything but the phone link up. I have a Yagi antenna coming in for the phone link. I am planning to put that under the display pointing up, with maybe 40 or 60dB of attenuation in line. Have to wait until I can look at the signal strength to sort that out.

Hi Bob - one thing to look at and review regarding interference...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/insight-from-google-fiber-wifi-performance.40149/

The biggest challenge with big shows like CES is not WiFi, it's the supporting network in my experience - the thing is to keep RSSI high enough for your AP's and Clients, as long as it's 20 dB higher than the noise floor (adjacent AP's), you should be ok.

Remember that devices like Mobiles will have lower gain antennas, and typically are power limited compared to devices like Laptops - sometimes as much as 3 to 5 dB lower - so using a phone to review and evaluate is recommended..

Some other tips...

If your booth is a single story layout - high gain antennas can help to tighten the patterns (think of the RF as a donut, higher gain flattens the donut)

Content - keep it local, don't trust getting to the home office for content during show hours, it's an exercise in frustration there - an Intel NUC can be useful as a Windows or Linux server, Mac mini if the content is Mac based.

WiFi - WPA2 is pretty obvious, as it keeping the SSID visible - I would have two WLAN's (not two SSID's) - one just for the demo stations, and one other for booth staff general use - having a dedicated AP (AP's) for the demo stations is very helpful when debugging. Since we're in a high noise environment, consider 750 sq ft coverage per AP

Rpi3 has similar RF characteristics as many mobile phones, so can be useful if one knows linux - also, for site survey's, Apple's MacBook Air has exceptional RF performance compared to many - adding WiFi Explorer (3rd party app) is good.

Managed AP's are better, mainly due to the management platforms - see the recent 2-stream AP review on the main site - the TP-Link stands out as a good choice.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-2x2-ac-access-point-roundup?showall=&start=5

I just received word that the setup is working well. The setup we went with is 5GHz, through coax as much as possible, with attenuators to keep the levels reasonable. The link to the phone is through a Yagi antenna in a five sided metal box, with absorber foam on the inside of the box, to dampen the side lobes.

I want to thank everyone on this thread. All that help went into making this successful.

Thank you all,
Bob2.0

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!