What's new

How do I setup DDNS on AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
Contrary to title I have ax88u
I
I enable access via wan in system settings. My IP address shows up next to the setting and I can then access router remotely. Great.

I wanted to enable DDNS for Alexa but I'm not having any success. Not sure if I've mucked it up somehow. I entered the aloha numeric key in the hostname field but no certificate seemed to get issued. I renamed the hostname for something easier and it Sayed registered but no certificate issued. If I enter these hostnames into browser it never finds my router.

If I use the asusip lookup link for both hist names and they give different IPs and both different to my IP address.

I've not done this before and am lost now. What have I done wrong.

Last edited:
You really need to disable router access over WAN, now.

Routers are but Internet isn't.
As long as you open ports from outside you may be hacked. Router cant know if its you or someone else who gets access to your network.

Routers are but Internet isn't.
As long as you open ports from outside you may be hacked. Router cant know if its you or someone else who gets access to your network.
Thanks. I have no knowledge of security so I now to those who have more experience. Shame as it seems like a good feature.

So by extension I shouldn't have Alexa connected to my router ??

It is used to be forwarded to a secure device behind the router with its own firewall and security, not for access the router itself.

Last edited:
Should you have Alexa connected to your router? I would say no. But you need to make the decision on that yourself based on what you give up for Alexa's 'help' and what you gain from it.

I personally would never have these devices with 20+ microphones inside my home. YMMV.

Keep asking questions and learning about the things that interest you until you can make your own decision and be able to live with the consequences (either way).

Btw, the routers are only as safe as we set them up to be. With choices comes great power, but with power comes even greater responsibility. :)

HTH.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!