What's new

How do I test a LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
To begin, I have never done this, so basic info is a must.
I have a LAN ISP Modem at 400 to ASUS RT-AX11000 to Netgear GS108 Ethernet 1 Gig Switch to Second Netgear Ethernet GS316 1 Gig Switch.
My goal is to be able to connect a device, hopefully my Samsun Galaxy S20+ via a Ethernet cable and test signal strength down line.
So is this thought process sound? Are there tools other than a laptop to carry around and test signal strength at switches and at wired ports? If so what device can I use?
Thanks
Dave

What are you interested in testing for? If you want to test and see that the link rate is 1 gig just plug a switch that is gig capable into the far end of a run and if the indicators light up as 1 gig then your cable run is probably fine, but do check the indicators at both ends just to be sure.

If your cable runs are less than 100 meters signal strength probably isn't an issue.

If you want to test the the actual throughput on a line then you will need to run Iperf or some other utility and move data between two devices. Not as easy as it sounds as a device must have a fairly powerful processor to handle data at this rate. Just because a device has a gig adapter doesn't meant it can send/receive data at that rate.

Thank you!
If I want to test a wall port\outlet for signal strength, is there a tester of some sort that will give signal strength?
I have not tried lperf, I will research that. You mentioned "some other utility"...is there one that comes to mind.
I am building the LAN. I have a Mesh which works well in the house. Because of fire codes, the garage has double drywall and cinderblocks. I need a node in the garage, the Wifi signal is ok 65~70 dbs, but cinder block is reducing the signal. I am going to have wire pulled Cat6 not cheap, but I wanted to test the signal strength when done.
The ideal is to be able to pull into the end of each run and see if I am getting 1g. I hoped to not use the laptop, but a meter of some sort, or better my smart phone.
Any suggestions to any of this are appreciated.
Dave

I think you are misunderstanding how Ethernet works. There isn't a "signal strength" in the same way there is for WiFi. For the most part Ethernet either works or it doesn't. As @CaptainSTX said, signal strength really isn't a factor unless you're talking about very long cable runs. How long a cable are you wanting to test?

Go to know!
No single run is over 100 feet. There will be multiple runs of that distance. Do they add up?
You are helping a lot.
Dave

No they don't add up. Each switch-to-switch, or switch-to-NIC connection is treated separately.

Is there a way to tell if 1GB is coming down the network, or does this fall under "it doesn't work that way?"
You are doing good :)

Check the lights on the Ethernet socket. They will indicate the negotiated link speed, either 1Gb or 100Mb (or 10Mb if you're connecting some ancient piece of technology).

To begin, I have never done this, so basic info is a must.
I have a LAN ISP Modem at 400 to ASUS RT-AX11000 to Netgear GS108 Ethernet 1 Gig Switch to Second Netgear Ethernet GS316 1 Gig Switch.
My goal is to be able to connect a device, hopefully my Samsun Galaxy S20+ via a Ethernet cable and test signal strength down line.
So is this thought process sound? Are there tools other than a laptop to carry around and test signal strength at switches and at wired ports? If so what device can I use?
Thanks
Dave
For consumers.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=network+tester

For ethernet professionals.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...&visitId=acb3d87e-3929-4a04-bb65-cd94327159b4

For wireless professionals.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MPZFKAV/?tag=snbforums-20

For a pack.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SHRCRM/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!