What's new

How do I turn off LLDP on my Asus router please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonnyc55

Occasional Visitor
Hello, slimming down on things. Negligible outcomes maybe, but I've done many such things, to the point it all could add up meaningfully. Interesting reading Wireshark, I've disabled STP, spanning tree, seeing how it isn't really needed for a basic home network setup like mine (1 router, 2 computers). I also see LLDP originating from the Asus router going off in regular-ish intervals. In this house we only browse the internet and myself the odd internet game.

LLDP is mainly used in wired Ethernet-connected devices to facilitate management of network resources and simplify networking tasks for administrators in a multi-vendor network.

I don't do any of this.

I've used openSSH once, and may need it again, does it effect that? Will it effect my router settings page? I never need to peer into network resources from my computer. I never need to know what's on the other end of my router from my PC. I don't have apps or services that I use that would want to do the same.

Is there a way to turn LLDP off?

Thanks.

No, it's not user-configurable. It's required to support AiMesh.
Ok thank you. Shame. It seems odd to have it hardwired to broadcast for an optional purpose. Reading briefly on it, i see no need for AImesh for myself and maybe for many others.

By not user-configurable, do you mean also beyond the stock firmware UI, i.e. merlin software, openSSH etc.? Thanks.

I mean there's no option in the GUI to change it. If you had Merlin's firmware you could probably write a script that killed the process, but it hardly seems worth it for one packet every 10 seconds.

I've made lots of tweaks. And they've added up to become obvious. An F1 car has many negligible improvements.

There's no telling how something ricochets in the workings of a system via oversights by engineers. If a feature is truly not needed in full then that's one less resource drain and/or one less potential variable to 'unintentionally' 'ricochet' which could lead to a larger performamce impact than meets the eye.

ChatGPT gives:

sudo nvram set lldp_enable=0
sudo nvram commit

Whether that's accurate, i don't know. I'll test it tommorow.

Last edited:
ChatGPT gives:

sudo nvram set lldp_enable=0
sudo nvram commit
I see a lot of *_enable NVRAM properties on my router (GT-AX6000), but no lldp.

Probably yet another case of ChatGPT making up stuff?

(I’m still surprised people use ”AI” as a source, in particular for stuff they are not familiar with themselves)

I see a lot of *_enable NVRAM properties on my router (GT-AX6000), but no lldp.

Probably yet another case of ChatGPT making up stuff?

(I’m still surprised people use ”AI” as a source, in particular for stuff they are not familiar with themselves)
sudo doesn't exist either.

Indeed.
Thank you guys.

Me testing it is a risk i'm willling to make. I'm aware of chatgpt errors. I always cross examine it, that's why i also put it here, in hope someone here confirms it or not before i test it. It is correct on some things. I don't mind taking risks. But i will google some things it says.

Where i think it is good, is it seems to find content on details better than Google since it pools details on a query from many sources in one area (the chat box), rather than Google, which has website/article/paper's detailing snippets on a query that are seperated across many different links. As long as chatgpt is cross examined, then happy days if it is correct, it saved you time.
I'm still trialing it out, but so far, it seems reasonable. We'll see.
But useless code is no good no. I might find it useless with constant errors and give up on it. Early days for me with it. It did help explain obscure DLL files, which seemed reasonably true. Cross examination, experimentalist approach and semi-experience on the said query goes alright with the current chatgpt. I may just discover it constantly lies and spews what is essentially non-accurate generic information on a query...

I see LLDP can be turned off on cisco/ubiquiti stuff. Shame. I really thought an optional thing like that had a toggle switch. Seeing how these big network firms see it as optional.

Last edited:
Login over SSH and run service stop_amas_lldpd and see if it remains stopped, or comes back on its own.
Ok I tried it, it does work. Except on router restart, which I kind of expected, thinking the stop command is maybe of the same behaviour from something like window's services. Thanks anyway. Shame, as I have the router off every night.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!