What's new

How do you avoid running out of IP addresses?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdabbs,

I agree with almost all you've said. But even based on the example I took the time to outline you can't give at least an equipment list?

I have already stated what customers are willing to spend: $0.00.

What I would like here is not what won't work (from the consumer parts bin), but what will for the scenario suggested.

I'm also at a loss at your suggesting that 70 users will be too much per router? I see that every day with no issues.

Given, of course that the level of 'networking' done is at the basic level almost exclusively.

@L&LD: I would think that every customer has different and unique needs. There's no one size fits all to begin with.
Many users are unwilling to pay for service but hardware with a branding is an entirely different story altogether. If you recommend a Cisco, the customer is likely to recognize the branding and be more willing to pay (within limits) more.
I do push ISR solutions from time to time because of that. Not to mention, Cisco's margins for resellers are extremely healthy. I get anywhere from 35% to 55% margins as a Cisco reseller even on GLP customers. This allows me to reduce the itemized cost of services but still maintain a healthy profit margin as compared to a regular consumer unit that can be bought off the shelves.

For me, I generally go with Procurves for switches and Engenius for access points. This is pretty much the stock list for any small-med. biz solution I roll-out unless they have specific requests or special needs.

Since I also do Rack 'n stack as well as structured cabling, WiFi speeds usually isn't a problem for my customers. The Engenius APs do relatively well in terms of stability and pricing. There are certain limits though. E.g. I'll never allow any of the individual APs to handle more than 30 clients and I avoid certain models (EAP-350) like a plague.

I might be rather spoilt by my ISPs here since they typically give out relatively decent equipment for business lines. I get ISR881s for up to 50M symmetric lines, ISR 887s for DSL/ ATM lines, ISR 1941s for 100M lines or ERL (more recently) for higher speed lines (up to 1G).
At least one of the ISPs gives HP-3Com MSRs but I will push my customer to go for an ISR881 (Minor top-up if any) instead because the MSRs are just plain crappy for anything more than a basic config.

Dreamslacker,

Thank you for the info. I'm not a reseller; just someone who tries to connect small business needs with my small level of knowledge for the best final price for all concerned (I need to live too).

Well.. For very small outfits with minimal needs (<10 users & <15 wifi devices), the Asus RT-AC66U and N66U are decent enough.
I avoid the N56U here due to overheating issues (2.4G radio tends to fry due to higher ambient temperatures here).

An ISR881 can be had for cheap if you sign up with your local distributor as a reseller and would do well for up to 30 users. The caveat being that it doesn't do wireless so external AP(s) are required.

Depending on where you are located, either the Netgear or HP Procurves (not the re-badged 3Com models) are very decent units especially for the price.

jdabbs,

I agree with almost all you've said. But even based on the example I took the time to outline you can't give at least an equipment list?

I have already stated what customers are willing to spend: $0.00.

What I would like here is not what won't work (from the consumer parts bin), but what will for the scenario suggested.

ISP router: Cisco 1921 or equivalent (free but ISP-managed)
Firewall: FortiGate-40C $350
"Core" Switch: Dell PowerConnect 5524 @ $1550 <--5548 is recommended
Access Switches: Dell PowerConnect 3548 @ $520 each
Wireless depends on layout and budget.

Comments:
0. Ignores UPS, patch panels, building layouts. The last one is fairly important. A factory floor topology would likely be different from a generic cubicle farm.
1. 150 users, bandwidth could be 50 Mbps+ depending on the type of employee.
2. Servers go on the 5524. Access switches have LACP connections to core switch. Core switch connects to firewall. Users that require gigabit connectivity go on core switch. Most users don't.
3. VLANs. Would be considered in a fleshed-out scenario.
4. In practice, you'd have spare capacity for new users, so 3 full 48-port switches is straining things. What if a single port goes bad, or user #151 is hired?
5. If you are trying to keep costs low, wireless would likely be the first to go.

If the users had VoIP phones, I'd recommend going with 3548Ps, and putting both workstation and phone on the same drop. That'd significantly cut down on port requirements and overall costs.

This is a very generous scenario. There's a local IT guy with spare parts on hand, so all the switches can be replaced by him while he takes care of the RMA. The switches do have a lifetime warranty. In reality, you'd ideally have enough spare capacity to absorb the loss of a switch. Given the cost of the firewall, failover pair would be a sensible choice as well.

I'm also at a loss at your suggesting that 70 users will be too much per router? I see that every day with no issues.

Given, of course that the level of 'networking' done is at the basic level almost exclusively.

If you're getting 70 to a home router, either your bandwidth is so constrained users can't download enough to tax the router, or you're counting heads instead of PCs. There's also inter router traffic; in the case of a mail server, you'd have users behind 3 out of 4 routers hitting the 4th router for access. If 70 isn't feasible, 200+ isn't, either.

Cisco (and others in that league) tend to wait for the IEEE standards to be ratified before shipping standard product to enterprise users. They aren't so much playing the one-upmanship that consumer marketeers play.

And often, Cisco et al have a voting member on the standards' committee. Kind of political for member's company to ship something pre-standard when they are all still jockying for their preferred solution to be adopted by the committee. Often, the consumer hardware builders (from Asia) are non-voting or not participating; Many are no-name tiny companies.

If I recall correctly, 11ac was ratified in Jan, 2014.

Last edited:
But it doesn't have the range or the throughput of a 2+ year old product. Not to mention AC class wifi...

And not that it has to beat it, but at least be competitive, you know?