What's new

How do you max out a Gigabit internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
This question is for those that have internet service with 1 Gbps or greater downlink throughput.

Have you ever used a Gigabit of bandwidth? If so, how?

Please don't use this thread to complain about your router not being able to provide a full gigabit bandwidth. If you can't hit a Gigabit and have service > 500 Mbps DL, I'd like to hear from you, too. Thanks.

I am also interested with this thread as I don't think you can keep a gig internet connection saturated right now for home use. Maybe in the future with higher bandwidth video like 8K or higher and enough TVs to support it.

AT&T has run fiber down my small town's streets but only has it avaible in the new neighborhoods. I am in a small town just east of Austin Texas and Austin is pushing out east now so we are getting a lot of info structure installed. I hope to get it in a couple of years.

Spectrum is now installing fiber at the new housing developments also. Maybe Spectrum is finding coax is lacking when doing gig so now they are switching to fiber? I don't know. But Spectrum is installing fiber at a new housing development here in Elgin Texas.

I'm nor sure if I understand precisely the question. I have Gigabit internet. I reach nearly max speed when I install or update a Ubisoft (through Uplay) game. I reach 70-95 MB/sec. Impressive. A 95 GB game is installed in a few mins. ;-)

I'm nor sure if I understand precisely the question. I have Gigabit internet. I reach nearly max speed when I install or update a Ubisoft (through Uplay) game. I reach 70-95 MB/sec. Impressive. A 95 GB game is installed in a few mins. ;-)
You understood the question just fine. Thanks for responding.

Aside from downloads, do you max out the connection at other times?

Ever make it up to Taylor and the Lucky Duck Cafe ?

Is Luigi's still there ?

Yes Luigi's is still here. I had take out pizza from them last night. They have free delivery within 5 miles since the restaurant is close for dine in.

No I have not been to Lucky Duck Café but I will put it on my list. I like Texas Beer a lot their amber is great and they have BBQ after 4:30. I think they are closed right now since the virus lock down.

I'm on a 550Mbps plan. Apart from the rare occasion when I'm downloading something like an Ubuntu distro the connection never approaches this capacity. In fact I never maxed out my connection when it was 380Mbps.

The highest usage I normally see would be when there are 3 or 4 HD video streams happening. Even then it's still well below 100Mbps.

I guess the advantage of the higher speeds is for "bursts" of traffic. So web browsing is more "snappy". This rather than a continuous stream of traffic.

Last edited:
Back when I had Time Warner the top connection speed was 300 meg and you got a connection with lower latency so it was better to have the top plan. Now with Spectrum it is not that way so there is no reason to go with the top tier. Plus I think for Spectrum's gig plan to work they will need to go fiber like everybody else.

I have 300Mbps ISP, rarely reaches 100Mbps with normal usage, some spikes here and there. Full speed only with downloads. I believe this is one of the reasons ISPs offer Gigabit service for not much more compared to 100Mbps service. They probably figured it out majority of customers paying for Gigabit can't really use the service. I've seen local ISP clients paying for Gigabit with devices connected to the 2.4GHz band of ISP router/modem combo.

The only time I have ever had my connection over 900Mbps is when I was making an effort to specifically push it. Doing multiple ISO downloads, speed tests, etc. Otherwise, it is rare we ever go over 100Mbps for more than a minute or two. My monitoring only queries every 5 minutes so it makes capturing bursts quite difficult. I know my Windows and Linux patching are wicked fast is about all I can really say. :)

I am have been a full time telecommuter for 8+ years and have no need for the amount of bandwidth I have available to me. Having a low latency 100Mbps symmetrical connection would service me just fine. Even with work traffic, that rarely goes over 20Mbps. There are rare bursts over 50Mbps when downloading or uploading large files, but that is pretty rare and is more limited by the VPN on the other end.

Streaming traffic...hahahaha...that is so low bandwidth overall, it is barely even noticeable. My backups from my NAS are the busiest egress flows, but that still rarely goes above 100Mbps.

Here is roughly the last week of traffic on my FW. That peak I am pretty sure me patching two of my systems...or it was me downloading Steam. Easy to see overall, usually under 10Mbps. My wife is home working and I have young kids watching streaming (single stream/device). I just rebuilt my Cacti server a couple of weeks ago, so I lost all of my historical data points from the past few years. My traffic graphs have pretty much always looked like this no matter what my ISP connection was.
upload_2020-4-12_14-51-5.png

Video games can reach upward of 100GB so it's possible to saturate a Gb connection when downloading them. With NVME drives the bootleneck is often the internet connection.

My Xfinity Speedtests at 700/24. Rarely do I consume over 50Mb down unless running a test.
I could get by with a lot less, but it is bundled with the cable tier wife requires.:D

A bit off topic - I use Trim to keep Comcast from jacking up my price. I just got a 2 year rate lock.

My Xfinity Speedtests at 700/24. Rarely do I consume over 50Mb down unless running a test.
I could get by with a lot less, but it is bundled with the cable tier wife requires.:D

A bit off topic - I use Trim to keep Comcast from jacking up my price. I just got a 2 year rate lock.
How are you using this connection?

Separated Cable Modem? or All in one they peddle for $13 a month deal. I will not use that method to me is just way to much overhead. I keep my CM on my own without them trying to charge me rental. I keep that CM off the any CATV/DP so I just have CM/ISP that's it in their box with just one connection no other nonsense in that box. That line is dedicated to ISP only. CM is also on cooling pad with turbo 120mm fan on it. Will all that said downing has always been over the rating mark. Uploads increased as well. I really don't need Gig, I could have got from them cheap but box would have to be change new line would have to run etc. Most of what I got in 2012 on my mini rack mounted hardware is still in place the only changes has been in WiFi business class.

Speedtest varies and a lot of factors have to go into that test what type of hardware your using how is that hardware functioning at 100%, CPU/RAM offload any tweaks. Speedtest various always. Keeping the hardware cool and the run your test make sure the OS is running at 100% as well. Test needs to be on point before you run them. Think of a test when you test your car engine if it overheating how would the test results be? Not so good.

Data connection is mostly for myself & daughter. I’ve seen daughter spike up to about 100 Mbps.
Wife wants the TV package and to play Facebook games.
15-20 devices online at any time - about 2/3 IOT.
Separate Netgear CM700 modem to a Asus AX92U with the old AC88U on second floor as an AIMesh node via 5GHz backhaul to optimize daughter’s throughput. I ditched the combo crap box awhile back.
Netgear CM700 modem is on mantle behind AX92U with ample cooling clearance. This also gets the AX92 up for better coverage and cooling. I don’t like cooking my gear.

This question is for those that have internet service with 1 Gbps or greater downlink throughput.

Please don't use this thread to complain about your router not being able to provide a full gigabit bandwidth. If you can't hit a Gigabit and have service > 500 Mbps DL, I'd like to hear from you, too. Thanks.

Greetings @thiggins-
We have used the ATT 1G Fiber for 3+ years, when installed it was ~960m both ways. Our home business
with me hosting video learning / conf calls, multiple VPNs , 2 severs with several VM’s, etc have never pushed the 1G circuit.
The closest was during our new house move-in party with;

Everyone on their IOS devices, 3 Firesticks on separate channels, audio streaming, surveillance system demo’s, kids gaming, guesting using WiFi calling (because ATT hasn’t installed a tower close to us yet), with maybe 35 people. My 86U to 86U Aimesh was busy at ~70% CPU. Guest were amazed with speed test of 300m! I doubt we could truly saturate the 1G circuit.
Unlike most installs, the Fiber ONT is mounted in the IT closet. Most people have maybe 100 ft of CAT5e between the ATT Gateway and ONT. Not that it matters, but I wanted nothing but Fiber from the main switch to my ONT. (about 5 miles)
The number one throttle point is the ATT GW. The tech tested circuit capacity from ONT, was 1003M. When he checked the Gateway, was 677M…….new Arris BGW-210-700 responded with 960. ***BGW-210-700 is currently the ONLY GW capable of actual 1G thru-put*** but that’s a topic for another thread.

To answer you question, I don’t see how a home based 1G Fiber could be max’d out?

Wekiwa67

Purely for self satisfaction of looking at speed test result and bragging rights of 1 gigabit internet!

My work require speedy download but even with wired computer, VPN throttles the workstation down.

FWIW - as a small business, having a business account with a major ISP. We have a committed 20MB symmetric - and we have QoS commitments and SLA's across different services and applications.

We spend about 500/month for that connection - but it's honest - no matter how much traffic, nothing will be below that BW and QoS - we do a lot of VOIP these days with the Conora - making due here, but it works...

It's not about Bandwidth - it's about Latency...

Interesting to note some measurements I've seen against my personal backhaul at home - we're all at home with the corona... in SoCal, we started locking down on Mar 19, 2020...

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.07.45 PM.png