What's new

How do you partion a jffs after a firmware flash on an Asus AC5300 router? Also, what do you do if your firmware flash made router buggy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
1) How do you partion a jffs after a firmware flash? I am using the most updated Asus stock firmware for my router because the Merlin one made it unstable

2) Does flashing new firmware get rid of the old firmware? Or does the old firmware stay if the firmware did not update thoroughly/corrupts? Because ever since I updated to Merlin then I flashed to stock my router has been very unstable. How can I fix this?

Please stop jumping around and test what's been provided to you already (in other threads/posts). :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

Flash the firmware you want to use (btw, that is RMerlin firmware, even if you don't realize it yet) and then follow the steps outlined in the link above.

Ask questions if more clarity is needed.

@L
Please stop jumping around and test what's been provided to you already (in other threads/posts). :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

Flash the firmware you want to use (btw, that is RMerlin firmware, even if you don't realize it yet) and then follow the steps outlined in the link above.

Ask questions if more clarity is needed.
Excuse me, what do you believe is the most stable Merlin firmware for the AC5300? Also, after following your steps I ran into some issues. When I uploaded the firmware with an ethernet cable, the ethernet did not work when I plugged it into the router. In fact, the laptop showed the ethernet as the previous firmware router name for some reason. However, the website still booted up when I used the ethernet so I just flashed the firmware. Not sure why it let me do this when it said the ethernet was not working. Not sure if it corrupted.

So can you tell me if I corrupted the firmware? People said that if it corrupted it would simply not let the router boot/brick itself. Atm, Merlin is showing up and the number. If it is buggy, can I reflash the router with the same firmware to fix it? Like, does the corrupted firmware delete when you factory reset?

The latest RMerlin supports would be my pick for the most stable firmware.

If you run into issues, why do you continue? The forums are here to ask for help.

I have no clue if you corrupted the firmware (hard to do on an Asus router actually). But the link I gave you should get you back to a good/known state. If you don't, and you really followed the steps properly (I would try them an additional two or three times if it fails the first time, yes, I'm stubborn like that), then that indicates hardware failure to me.

A factory reset simply allows the firmware that is flashed to it to use its defaults as it expects them to be. It doesn't/can't delete the firmware that it is running on (that would be called a bricked router).

So if you flash the same firmware, can that cover any corruption? If you flash lets say stock firmware, will that override the Merlin or will traces of Merlin still be left behind?

@jusjohn55 please stop spreading the same questions accross multiple threads, it only makes discussions redundant and harder to follow.

Think of it this way.....

Firmware is the operating system and core functionality of the router. Whatever ever file you pick (assuming it is compiled for that specific router model) gets loaded onto the router. Makes no difference if this is provided by rmerlin, Asus or if you compile it yourself. It replaces whatever version was there before.

All the configuration stuff though is what needs to be "reset" as the configuration memory can get scrambled for a variety of reasons, primarily from switching between Merlin firmware and Asus firmware. This can also require formatting the jffs partition to "reset" that too.

Follow the guide provided by @L&LD above. If a step doesn't complete property, then stop and post the specific details here (once) and someone will try and help you.

Last edited:
@L&LD Sir, when I did your directions I get stuck at the part where I have to use the link to bypass the setup wizard. It still forces me to make a username and password before it lets me do that initialize and restore thing. Is that alright?

Sure, that's fine. You're (mostly) resetting it afterward anyway. :)

I thought I had a stuck pixel on my new screen until I scrolled. :eek:
Lol. My tablet doesn't like me and keeps inserting accented chars. I'm too lazy to figure out how to fix it :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!