What's new

How do you turn off AiMesh mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evildoer

Occasional Visitor
I had my AC5300 set up as the master router with a secondary router set as an aimesh node. This second router was someone elses and moved out, so it was taken away hastily. So now my router is stuck with only one of the 5ghz channels working. The other says its an aimesh backhaul. And googling around all I can find is how to remove a node, by having that node still on the network.

How in the world do I turn aimesh mode off without this second router?

And please do not say "reset the router". This is what I am trying to avoid obviously.

Thanks.

I personally would do a complete reset to factory and use new passwords, ... I found it easier than trying to mess around when I abandoned AiMesh after trying it.

I had my AC5300 set up as the master router with a secondary router set as an aimesh node. This second router was someone elses and moved out, so it was taken away hastily. So now my router is stuck with only one of the 5ghz channels working. The other says its an aimesh backhaul. And googling around all I can find is how to remove a node, by having that node still on the network.

And please do not say "reset the router". This is what I am trying to avoid obviously.

Thanks.

If you can't get there from here, you're probably going to have to reset and configure. Ctrl-P might allow you to print/save screens/settings to PDF files.

OE

You can't "turn off AiMesh mode" on the main router - it's not a special mode, it's just regular router mode. Only nodes get put in a special mode, and a factory default reset is required to bring them out of it.

You can't "turn off AiMesh mode" on the main router - it's not a special mode, it's just regular router mode. Only nodes get put in a special mode, and a factory default reset is required to bring them out of it.

r20NeK6.png

This is what I see for the second 5ghz channel. But what's really messed up is that only the 2nd one is working. 5ghz-1 is not working.

1 and 2 both have exactly the same settings, minus different names.

r20NeK6.png

This is what I see for the second 5ghz channel. But what's really messed up is that only the 2nd one is working. 5ghz-1 is not working.

1 and 2 both have exactly the same settings, minus different names.

Reset the router and be done with it.

OE

does it matter ? he won't be able to connect to your router anyway right ?!!

ALL ANECDOTAL HERE

I can say that I found too many strange behaviors when I abandoned AiMesh and made my other routers wired APs. It was as though enabling an AiMesh node set some things on the main node that could only be unset through a factory reset. After wasting WAY too much time on the problems I just factory all my equipment and started from scratch. Once I did that I no longer saw the rash of explainable issues.

As I said a number of posts back, save yourself the headaches, do the "long prescribed reset process" you''l find throughout these threads, change all your passwords/passcodes, select the recommended settings, and move forward. IMO, you WILL be ahead of the game.

Yes, it matters in this case... the OP has a tri-band router and wants to recover use of the 2nd 5 GHz band that is currently dedicated to the former AiMesh wireless backhaul. The OP explained this clearly... and with pictures. :)

OE

It was as though enabling an AiMesh node set some things on the main node that could only be unset through a factory reset.

This absolutely seems to be the case. The message clearly says my router is in "AiMesh mode" and that this is the behavior in AiMesh mode. It would be nice if Asus had a way to turn this mode off without needing to reset the router. But it looks like that's what Ill need to do.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks.
I know I'm incredibly late, but in case I'm not the only one coming in from the future - if a node is disconnected for too long (I don't know the exact timing because I discovered it accidentally), the system will "forget" it and turn off AiMesh automatically.