What's new

How do you upgrade Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aquillyne

Occasional Visitor
It's such a simple question yet I've never been able to find the "for Dummies" answer – I guess it must be so easy that no one thought it was worth saying explicitly.

Can someone please tell me how I'm meant to keep my router up to date with the latest firmware once I've installed Merlin?

Thanks

Merlin's firmware installs just like stock firmware. Download the firmware for your router unzip the file and install. Do a factory reset and reconfigure after flashing. That's it your done.

After doing what @det721 said above, you need to check manually to see if a newer version is available.

Merlin's firmware installs just like stock firmware. Download the firmware for your router unzip the file and install. Do a factory reset and reconfigure after flashing. That's it your done.

Hi..just joined forum..never installed Merlin firmware. ..

Sounds counter intuitive to a newbie like me to install Merlin firmware and THEN do a factory reset and THEN configure. Wouldn't that erase the Merlin firmware?

Hi..just joined forum..never installed Merlin firmware. ..

Sounds counter intuitive to a newbie like me to install Merlin firmware and THEN do a factory reset and THEN configure. Wouldn't that erase the Merlin firmware?
No, it doesn't erase firmware, only reset setting since there are few differences between stock and merlin version.

OK...thanks....I got it now...I thought about it...and it makes sense now
But in most cases you do not need to do a factory reset after upgrade.

Flashing between stock Asus and RMerlin firmware, a reset to factory defaults is always the best suggestion to follow.

Unless you want to work on your wild-goose-chasing troubleshooting skills (and then need to do a full reset anyway). :)