What's new

How is the Guest Network separate form the main network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JAF

Occasional Visitor
Ok, just curious how the guest wifi network feature works to keep it separate from the main wired/wireless network. They both have the same IP address range, same subnet, and gateway. It does work in that I can't ping between the two. So what separates them?

Thanks

Ok, just curious how the guest wifi network feature works to keep it separate from the main wired/wireless network. They both have the same IP address range, same subnet, and gateway. It does work in that I can't ping between the two. So what separates them?
VLANs are usually used to prevent broadcast traffic so that MAC addresses can't be learned.

Thanks
Each device connected to the guest network is its own broadcast domain.

Each device connected to the guest network is its own broadcast domain.
That's not what keeps them separate. Asus' Guest networks can be separate from the main LAN or not depending on a setting in the GUI. This is achieved by a combination of ebtables and iptables rules which effect how the packets traverse (or not) the internal bridge. VLAN's aren't used.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!