What's new

How many RT-AC56U users out there?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Heya,

Just wondering how many of you guys used an RT-AC56U, running either stock, Asuswrt-Merlin or DD-WRT on it? I think the router is only starting to become more widely available. Just wondering if there would be enough of a userbase to have Tim add an RT-AC56U forum (I'd probably suggest having a combined RT-AC56/RT-AC68U forum, since both routers are very similar hardware-wise).

+1 I have one with merlin firmware.

Still have troubles to use my dyn dns from inside LAN. But outside it works without problems. I thought merlin FW would fix loopback but it did not.

Or maybe I need to do a fabric reset after fw upgrade.

+1 I have one with merlin firmware.

Still have troubles to use my dyn dns from inside LAN. But outside it works without problems. I thought merlin FW would fix loopback but it did not.

Or maybe I need to do a fabric reset after fw upgrade.

NAT loopback was working fine for me last time I tested it. Make sure you rub 372.31 or newer, there as a NAT loopback issue in a few of the previous releases (I forgot in which build I fixed it).

No need for a factory default reset with the AC56U.

3.0.0.4.372.31_2 (Merlin build) is the one im using

Do I need to turn on/off something to get loopback working.

The only thing I might have done wrong is.

I upgraded the stock firmware to the latest 374 after that I installed 372 merlin (downgrade)..?

I saw that 374 merlin just came out.

3.0.0.4.372.31_2 (Merlin build) is the one im using

Do I need to turn on/off something to get loopback working.

The only thing I might have done wrong is.

I upgraded the stock firmware to the latest 374 after that I installed 372 merlin (downgrade)..?

I saw that 374 merlin just came out.

I just retested it, and NAT loopback is working fine for me. Double check your configuration and DDNS.

Just made a reset, and when I applied the portmapping and dyndns. While the unit saved settings it worked for a couple of sec then nothing.

Do i need to enable disable anything in vpn or firewall. The ports im trying to connect to is port 80 and port 8800.

The portmapping and dyn dns work ok outside my lan from my phone. But as soon as my phone connects to my wifi it stops working.

Just made a reset, and when I applied the portmapping and dyndns. While the unit saved settings it worked for a couple of sec then nothing.

Do i need to enable disable anything in vpn or firewall. The ports im trying to connect to is port 80 and port 8800.

The portmapping and dyn dns work ok outside my lan from my phone. But as soon as my phone connects to my wifi it stops working.

Port 80 is already used for the webui, so you can't use it to access another LAN device through the loopback.

I got one, maybe had it 4 weeks or so now. I know it was a pain to get a hold of one. Moved on from my N66U mainly for the new dual core since I run behind a vpn. Had your firmware on it minutes after unboxing it. Really happy with it so far, still cant help but think Im going to grab the AC68U when it comes out though.

Me too. Perhaps launching RT-AC56U/RT-AC68U combined separate forum is not a bad idea.

I'll send Tim a request for it then for the RT-AC56U. Based on the FW download numbers this router is starting to gain some market base. Most likely I will suggest going with a single forum for both routers once the AC68U also gets released, to avoid cluttering the forums with too many underused sub-forums.

+1

I've just bought this router.
Unfortunately I find it unstable in certain situations.
I tried Asuswrt-Merlin as well, but I went back to the original stock firmware.

Asus support could not help me, they suggested hard reset. :)

Hi, what certain situations ? Can you expand on this ? I had all the RT-N66U and N65U versions and they all disconnected from the ISP all over sudden. Hope the AC56U does not have the issue.

I just picked up an AC56U to replace an Airport Extreme 802.11n (not the new AC one).

First thing I noticed is if I did a download at full speed (20Mb) - 256Kb and did some web browsing, the download stayed pegged while I used the 256Kb to browse. The Airport Extreme wasn't as good and the download file speed would vary and suffer if I tried to browse while it was downloading.

Jury is still out on the range compared to the AE though (2.4GHz 802.11g) - I have the radios bumped to 120mW and I'm seeing occasional slowness in parts of my house where the AE worked well BUT the browsing speed on my mobile devices is WAY better than the AE.

Overall I'm impressed and now with Merlin's FW, I disabled the lights on the front to reduce light pollution... :)

The firmware 3.0.0.4.374_134 solves my problem. I copied about 270GB from samba share successfully, meanwhile some torrents were downloading in the background and a movie was streaming via DLNA. I tried without torrent and DLNA stream as well.

Looks like im going to be returning this one. The range is very sub par compared to the n66u I had. 5ghz seems about the same if not slightly better but the 2.4 ghz is much weaker.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!