What's new

How many RT-AC56U users out there?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you update to the latest firmware ? I'm curious to see if that makes difference for the range.

I used merlins latest .33 beta firmware. Is the lastest asus firmware newer then his?

Im also having intermittent connection issues, where the router stops responding and I can't connect to the internet. Happens couple times a day. Im not sure if it is because after upgrading to merlins build I didn't reset the router. Looks like this is going to be returned once the ac68 comes out.

Last edited:
I bought this router a few days ago but have to say that something is wrong with the range/performance for 802.11b/g clients.
After a few meters (~5-10) the link speed drops to ~11-12 Mbps from 48-54.
At the same time, same location, same computer, same 2.4 GHz frequency, 802.11n seems fine with 108-144 Mbps link speed :confused:
5 GHz a/n also seems fine, it's only b/g clients suffering from this performance drop after a certain range. I have tried various settings on and off, including b/g protection, but it doesn't seem to change anything.
On a side note: with my old TP-Link TL-WR1043ND I have 48-54 Mbps link speed under the same circumstances, for b/g clients.

Last edited:
works great here

I have had my AC56U for a week or so now.....an upgrade from my N56u..

I mentioned in a previous thread that the N56U is a beast with Padavan firmware....

I am sticking with current stock firmware on the AC56u ( 3.0.0.4.374.158) . I just had to many issues with the beta builds of merlin....

Just made a reset, and when I applied the portmapping and dyndns. While the unit saved settings it worked for a couple of sec then nothing.

Do i need to enable disable anything in vpn or firewall. The ports im trying to connect to is port 80 and port 8800.

The portmapping and dyn dns work ok outside my lan from my phone. But as soon as my phone connects to my wifi it stops working.

Have you been able to sort this out? I have exactly the same symptoms, and have tried different firmwares and settings, but so far to no avail...

RT-AC56U also with NAT loopback problems

I bought a Asus RT-AC56U and put Merlin's firmware on it, and it works great.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is NAT loopback. I've done a Factory reset, setup my WiFi and made a Port forwarding for https(443). It works from the outside, but from my LAN i can't use my eksternal IP or the FQDN (from Asus DDNS). If somebody have a hint to what could be wrong, I'd be very grateful.

I bought a Asus RT-AC56U and put Merlin's firmware on it, and it works great.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is NAT loopback. I've done a Factory reset, setup my WiFi and made a Port forwarding for https(443). It works from the outside, but from my LAN i can't use my eksternal IP or the FQDN (from Asus DDNS). If somebody have a hint to what could be wrong, I'd be very grateful.

Make sure you have AiCloud disabled, as it will also try to use port 443.

Make sure you have AiCloud disabled, as it will also try to use port 443.
Thanks for your quick response.

AiCloud is disabled, and I even tried to forward port 8080 to an internal port 80, just to try a different port...

Thanks for your quick response.

AiCloud is disabled, and I even tried to forward port 8080 to an internal port 80, just to try a different port...

NAT loopback works fine for me on my RT-AC56U. Make sure you are using the correct IP. If you are using a dyndns service, it might not be up-to-date. Also make sure it's not a firewall blocking connections on the destination device (it might reject connections coming from your test client).

NAT loopback works fine for me on my RT-AC56U. Make sure you are using the correct IP. If you are using a dyndns service, it might not be up-to-date. Also make sure it's not a firewall blocking connections on the destination device (it might reject connections coming from your test client).
Thanks once again for your quick reply.

I'm confident that I'm using the right IP. When testing I use my iPad, so all I'm doing is to disable/enable WiFi on the iPad and then update the page in the browser.

There is no firewall on the server, and when using the local IP i can connect without any problems.

I've tried to log, first a good(external) connection and then a connection from the LAN which did not succeed:
Oct 6 23:03:25 kernel: ACCEPT IN=eth0 OUT=br0 SRC=5.33.153.129 DST=192.168.1.176
Oct 6 23:04:59 kernel: ACCEPT IN=br0 OUT=br0 SRC=192.168.1.180 DST=192.168.1.176

Do this help?

I still have trouble with nat loopback. Im using port 8000 for REST communication but it still wont work. I have tried latest firmware oct 3. It works from outside and from inside if I change to local ip. But on loopback nothing. It seems that it get contact but when it starts to communicate server version it freezes. I also want port 80 to work but as they say it will be in conflict with asus. Wounder how d-link Dir 855 sorted this out because both 80 and 8000 worked on loopback.

RT-AC56U user here. I've never been happy with how unstable the wireless connection has been. I haven't knowingly changed the FW since purchasing it around 6 months ago. FW I'm currently running is 3.0.0.4.374_37.
Any advice is welcome, although I'm not confident I know enough to be able to follow it.

Paul, if you haven't changed the firmware, I highly suggest to do so and get the latest. An easy way to start would be to download Merlins latest 42 build. Download here, then log into the router (via cable ideally) and under administration there should be an upgrade link. Select the file and update. That might give you the feeling of having a brand new router. 6 month is a long time in router firmware time, especially with fairly new devices. It might solve a lot if not all of your problems.

I have one unit running now with DD-WRT, latest build, but only use it as a gateway router with the R7000 behind doing VPN Client and LAN etc. It's a bit overkill as a GW router, but I have not figured out how to get the SIP adapters working otherwise behind the VPN. So, my wireless on this one is actually turned off on purpose, but will testing it occasionally I was actually impressed with the range.

Last edited:
RT-AC56U user here. I've never been happy with how unstable the wireless connection has been. I haven't knowingly changed the FW since purchasing it around 6 months ago. FW I'm currently running is 3.0.0.4.374_37.
Any advice is welcome, although I'm not confident I know enough to be able to follow it.
Hey Paul,
Download the latest AC56U from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/2s8s06cudivnwo6/RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.42_0.zip
Unzip the file...this is the file you will be using to upgrade. Log into your router and got to the ADMINISTRATION / FIRMWARE and UPLOAD the unzipped the file you just downloaded. You will want to make notes or screenshots of all your settings as you likely will want to set your router back to FACTORY DEFAULT (ADMINISTRATION / Restore/Save/Upload Setting ).

There's a new variant: RT-AC56S. The local Asus distributor says it is a specialized version for an ISP. Hardware wise should be the same?

2llk9w8.jpg

HW version A1
FW Ver 3.0.0.4.374_4561

There's a new variant: RT-AC56S. The local Asus distributor says it is a specialized version for an ISP. Hardware wise should be the same?

2llk9w8.jpg

HW version A1
FW Ver 3.0.0.4.374_4561

Unless this has changed before the router release, this router only has a single CPU core enabled.

Not sure what else would be different, what little I know is based on the firmware source code.

Unless this has changed before the router release, this router only has a single CPU core enabled.

Not sure what else would be different, what little I know is based on the firmware source code.

what command do I run at the console to find out?

thanks.

what command do I run at the console to find out?

thanks.

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Here's the output of an RT-AC68U (dual-core):

Code:
admin@stargate4:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor	: 0
BogoMIPS	: 1599.07

processor	: 1

Features	: swp half thumb fastmult edsp 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x3
CPU part	: 0xc09
CPU revision	: 0

Hardware	: Northstar Prototype
Revision	: 0000
Serial		: 0000000000000000

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Here's the output of an RT-AC68U (dual-core):

Code:
admin@stargate4:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor	: 0

processor	: 1

[/QUOTE]

damn. The AC56S has half the CPU and half the RAM. 

Any possibility of removing the limitation?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!