What's new

How to bind ip+mac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dellpe

New Around Here
I am a new network manager, we have 200 computers.They are in subnet 192.168.1.0/24.But there is alway somebody change its ip address.So the ip address is always conflict.Almost everyday I will deal with this problem.Some good idea? Our switch has cisco WS-C2960S-24TS-L and huawei s2700. May I bind their mac in my switch? Can these two switch support this feature? And how?

Last edited:
You do the binding in the DHCP server. Whatever you have running the DHCP services, is where you'll make the binding.

If users are changing their static IP addresses, not much you can do except lock them out from making that change, there should be no valid reason an end user should be changing their IP addresses.

I'd assume its dynamic DHCP and when leases expire its assigning a different IP address to some of the machines. To stop that, just go through your DHCP server's IP address table and set each machine to a static IP address reservation.

The changes would be done on whatever machine is running your DHCP server. I assume a router, but maybe you have it running on a dedicate machine.

Its not done on the switch level.

The best you can hope to accomplish is turn off the DHCP server and assign a static IP to the MAC address of every device that you want to permit to connect.

Unfortunately if users have administrative privileges on their PC they can spoof/copy a MAC address and connect to your network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!