What's new

How to break the restriction of clients number in PPTP server settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solohsi

New Around Here
I have a ac68u with newest merlin, and want to set up a PPTPD server for my friends. But I found there's a clients number restriction for both user and IP.
I create a script to copy my chap-secrets to /tmp/pptpd/ after service-start, then I have added over 30 users(breaking the restraction on web setting), but I think there is still a IP(or anything else) restraction because the modem doesn't allow 7 or more user to login.
Is there anyway to remove this restraction?
Thanks a lot.

Use OpenVPN instead. PPTP is obsolete, and its security has been considered broken for many years now, making it easy to hack into and steal login credentials.

Use OpenVPN instead. PPTP is obsolete, and its security has been considered broken for many years now, making it easy to hack into and steal login credentials.

Hi Rmerlin, Thanks for your help.
But in my router, when I setup a OPENVPN server, it always displays:

Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection.

Could you please give me some advice? Thanks again for your fantastic work.

Hi Rmerlin, Thanks for your help.
But in my router, when I setup a OPENVPN server, it always displays:

Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection.

Could you please give me some advice? Thanks again for your fantastic work.

Make sure your firmware is up-to-date, and check the system log for any details.

Make sure your firmware is up-to-date, and check the system log for any details.
It returns me:

Apr 27 23:44:50 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**
Apr 27 23:45:00 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**
Apr 27 23:45:11 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**
Apr 27 23:45:21 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1004 (4)
Apr 27 23:45:21 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x1004 (4)
Apr 27 23:45:21 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1004 (4)
Apr 27 23:45:34 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**
Apr 27 23:45:38 rc_service: httpds 847:notify_rc restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1
Apr 27 23:45:38 rc_service: waitting "restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1" via httpds ...
Apr 27 23:45:45 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**
Apr 27 23:45:53 rc_service: skip the event: restart_chpass;restart_vpnserver1.
Apr 27 23:45:55 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**
Apr 27 23:46:05 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 10:A4:BE:D3:B1:**

I don't know what aboutu WLCEVENTD, and I think it's only a skill the event restart information which I can't determine the problem. I searched WLCEVENTD and google said it's problem without external network IP addresses. But actually I'm very sure I have a external IP on the wan port of my router. Could you please help me? Thanks a lot.

An action you did on the webui required the router to change the system password files and then restart the VPN server, however the requests never completed for an unknown reason.

Those WL event are unrelated to your VPN issues - they simply indicate you have a wifi client that seem to be having difficulties connecting to your router.

An action you did on the webui required the router to change the system password files and then restart the VPN server, however the requests never completed for an unknown reason.

Those WL event are unrelated to your VPN issues - they simply indicate you have a wifi client that seem to be having difficulties connecting to your router.
Thanks for your kindly reply, could you please figure out how i can find out the reason why the router can't restart the openvpn servive? Shall I try it in the ssh?

Thanks for your kindly reply, could you please figure out how i can find out the reason why the router can't restart the openvpn servive? Shall I try it in the ssh?

Did you check your firmware version? Because what you describe is something I fixed a few months ago.

I have checked it in the change log, but I think maybe I can't find my problem:(

I don't remember when I fixed something about that, but I do remember changing something related to the nvram occasionally getting stuck in the wrong state. So the first thing to do would be to update to the latest version available.

I don't remember when I fixed something about that, but I do remember changing something related to the nvram occasionally getting stuck in the wrong state. So the first thing to do would be to update to the latest version available.
Thanks RMerlin, I have upgraded my router and the problem has been solved, Thanks a lot again for your kindly hellp.

Sorry but one more question, is there anyway to make the IP of one client fixed? In PPTPD I have modified the conf file manually, but I didn't find a way to make it with OPENVPN. Thanks.

Sorry but one more question, is there anyway to make the IP of one client fixed? In PPTPD I have modified the conf file manually, but I didn't find a way to make it with OPENVPN. Thanks.

I believe it can be done through the client-specific settings, however I haven't looked at that in years, so I don't remember the details.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!