What's new

How To Buy a Wireless Router: The Short Version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dual-band dual-radio routers do not allow both radios to be set to the same band.

Copying pasting from the article
"Another way to separate the client types is to use a dual-band, dual-radio N router. You would connect your G devices to the 2.4 GHz radio and your dual-band N devices to the 5 GHz radio. But this has the downside of shorter range for the 5 GHz band devices."

So I assume that if I set them to different bands, the N in 5 Ghz, the G in 2.4 Ghz will they work simultaneously without problems and each one at full speed.

Is my lacking-grey-matter-ignorant brain, understanding this correctly?

Tnx!:p

So I assume that if I set them to different bands, the N in 5 Ghz, the G in 2.4 Ghz will they work simultaneously without problems and each one at full speed.
Yes, the clients in each band will operate simultaneously.

Thanks for the wonderful work again Tim,

Do you think the revised 610n due out soon may be able to earn a spot in your "best picks" for dual-band dual radio?

I guess there's no way of knowing until you can get hold of a unit... :-(

Thanks so much for this version. It's wonderful for the average person like me who needs to set up a new network. I had a Netgear RangeMax draft N and wanted to upgrade (going to get a couple of new computers and Windows 7) and Netgear recommended the WNR2000 just as you recommended. My daughter still has an older Dell desktop that uses XP and I have the same desktop with XP that the route is attached to. I also have a new laptop that runs Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

I had no problem connecting to the RangeMax network from the back of the house. But, when I connected a D-Link Dual Bank DIR 825 I couldn't connect from the same area of the house, and the laptop only recognized the 5 GHz band not the 2.4 GHz band. What you wrote in the article about not being able to connect from the same distance using the 5 GHz band makes sense. Since I just bought this D-Link router on Saturday I am hotfooting it back to MicroCenter and replacing it with a Single Band N router, probably the Netgear.

For some reason, I was under the mistaken impression that my daughter could connect faster if I bought a Dual Band router. She is a gamer whose computer is in the next room from the router.

Thanks SO much. Sorry for the long diatribe.

How to buy a router

I love this shorter version. I was confused about how they work and which one to buy with my G network. Now I feel alot more confident about what I need. Thank you so much for the info.

Am brand new net neophyte and really liked article! Since I am starting from scratch think I will stick with a single or dual radio N system.(?)

Am trying to set up my first net for home office base (desktop) and 3 laptops (me, wife, daughter all on Windows 7) and saw a schematic of a "typical" net somewhere in my meandering that showed Internet connection, several computers and a printer all connected to the router; can a router also connect a printer? Or do I need a seperate server? Or?

TIA

Hi And Thanks!

Hi,
First of all, thank you for this great site!

30905-how-to-buy-a-wireless-router-short-version is a very important article for all N-Wireless newbies, like me :)

"Example Products" section lists some products, and the comment below:
I debated adding the WNDR3700 since it's just hitting the market as I write this. Proceed at your own risk and I'll update this once I test it
Looks like it's time to to update WNDR3700 :), because you've tested it.

Also, I'd highly appreciate if you add a page with feature-set matrix and list all reviewed products and their major features, like Bands, Max Connections, Performance under different loads, SPI firewall, VPN/PPTP, VPN/LTP
Perhaps, this page will be hit#1 on your site.

Also, didn't hear about new products. Looks like D-Link is going to push 665 model based on 1GHz CPU (MIPS?).

Any news about non-draft models?

Please keep us informed.

-jv

Thanks for your suggestions. Glad you like the site.

All N routers are non-draft now. Draft N routers were grandfathered to release status when the N spec was finalized.

simple routers

HI I am new to this and trying to learn about routers so i can set up computer for grand kids to play games on. what all do i need for D S L and a vista machine?

It all depends on how you want to use your DSL connection. If you only have one computer and you don't mind using a wired connection because it can sit close to the DSL modem and it's a desktop PC then you can get by without using a router to manage the connection. If you're planning a more elaborate setup using wireless which is still quite simple any G or N router can handle the job without any trouble.

HI I am new to this and trying to learn about routers so i can set up computer for grand kids to play games on. what all do i need for D S L and a vista machine?
Any router will work.

It all depends on how you want to use your DSL connection. If you only have one computer and you don't mind using a wired connection because it can sit close to the DSL modem and it's a desktop PC then you can get by without using a router to manage the connection. If you're planning a more elaborate setup using wireless which is still quite simple any G or N router can handle the job without any trouble.

thanks Dave i have two computers mine is by the modem i am setting one up for grandkids in play room so i need a simple router to connect that one too wireless would be best is what i was told what will i need for that?

Combo Hardware

My ISP provider has made a new product available; it is the modem/router. They have both a N and a G model. I use it because now if I have a problem with my Internet they can not blaim it on the router and tell me to call D-Link...

My ISP is Rogers in Canada.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!