What's new

How to check if beamforming works or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would expect stock to expose both as well, provided the router supports it - I haven't made any change in this regard. Note that the second option was only added recently.

I'm confused. On my RT-AC66U with 374.33 beta1, I only see the "explicit" beamforming option - no implicit.

I'm confused. On my RT-AC66U with 374.33 beta1, I only see the "explicit" beamforming option - no implicit.

Then that means the driver does not support implicit beamforming on that model.

Then that means the driver does not support implicit beamforming on that model.

I see. Does that mean all RT-AC66Us don't support it, or just certain hardware variants of that model? I'm surprised that such a top-drawer model would not support it.

Thanks...

I see. Does that mean all RT-AC66Us don't support it, or just certain hardware variants of that model? I'm surprised that such a top-drawer model would not support it.

Thanks...

No idea. Keep in mind that beamforming support needs to be in the HW for starter, it's not a pure software-only feature. So, it's possible that Broadcom hasn't implemented it in the first generation of 802.11ac SoCs, but they added it in the second generation. The RT-AC66U was released a year ago, based on a chip that was released nearly two years ago.

In any case, getting at least one form of beamforming implemented on an older product is already a bonus. Most manufacturers don't bother adding any new features to their existing products, and tell you to buy a new one if you need that new feature.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!