What's new

How to delete a wifi network using SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As a last resort, you may want to try the 9-step "nuclear reset" process by the well-known forum member @L&LD . Some people believe it, some people don't. But given the circumstances, I think you have nothing to lose.

Unless your router has a hardware problem, there's a good chance you'll recover it. If the "nuclear reset" doesn't work, then it's very likely your router is indeed defective, in which case you should return it.

Good luck!

Note that Step 2 should be using the link below for the method indicated for the router in use today.

Also, it is essential to note that doing the first few steps (resetting the router in as many ways as possible, and then flashing the (same) firmware you want to use/test with) should be repeated as many times as possible.

Then, only perform the M&M config as indicated in the link below.

M&M Config https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

When you're in testing mode, do not further customize the router. Do not upload a saved backup config file. Do not plug in any USB drives, nor any LAN cables (you should be able to do at least preliminary testing with just the WAN connection and the WiFi), and particularly not any previously used USB drives that contained any amtm, or other, scripts.

If after a handful of complete resetting and re-flashing the same firmware cycles don't show improvements in the router's behavior, then this indicates it is more than likely a hardware issue at this point. At least for most individuals without any knowledge of further, low-level, probing/troubleshooting steps (such as myself).

I've 'saved' many routers using the method outlined above and in that link, and particularly, an RT-AC86U showing random issues (including not rebooting properly) was saved with an extended cycle of resetting (using all possible methods), then flashing the RMerlin firmware at the time. It did take over an hour just doing those steps endlessly, but that router is still in use today and the rebooting (and never starting up) issue was also solved since that process was performed on it too.

Thanks for all the fast replies!

I was away for today and hope to get to the "nuking" of the router tomorrow but attached is a log file that i exported i used the log level debug/all on the router.
And then turned on the 5Ghz guest network 7 minutes ago as shown in the log times. but right now the 5ghz band is down and there is no devices connected to it because its gone from the radar.

these logs where gathered from my synology nas which i use as a log server

I also attached a copy of the wireless logs but while i was copy and pasting this i saw the 5GHz band coming back to life some how without me changing anything so it could just be that any change i do the the wifi settings just takes along time to take affect? (i have to test this a bit more)

Attachments

• logs.txt
    58.2 KB · Views: 15
  • wifi logs without 5ghz.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 17
5GHz may be waiting for DFS channel scan. Set the 5GHZ band to channel 36 at 80MHz as a way to avoid DFS for now, and see if it’s stable.
I think you might be on to something here i have changed this settings to the 36 channel and the 80Mhz and now no matter what i change the reconnection is instant and i do not loose the 5Ghz for a second how can i fix this permanantly?

I think you might be on to something here i have changed this settings to the 36 channel and the 80Mhz and now no matter what i change the reconnection is instant and i do not loose the 5Ghz for a second how can i fix this permanantly?
In your log file you were using channel 116/80 which is a DFS channel and requires a 10 minute wait time in Europe before it becomes active.

Are you serious?!?!
Yes. Channels 120 to 128 (which 116/80 would cover) is shared with weather radar used by aircraft. The router has to wait to make sure there's none being used in your area. If you were to switch to 100/80 the wait time would only be 1 minute. And as Dave said, using a non-DFS channel like 36/80 has no wait time at all.

80MHz channels will still be available while ISM performs it's initial scan. The 10 minutes of 5GHz being down only happens only when forcing just 160MHz on a fixed DFS channel.

so setting it up like this would make the connections nearly instant?

Capture.PNG

so setting it up like this would make the connections nearly instant?

View attachment 53469
Correct. Even with auto channels with 20/40/80/160 selected the 5GHz would still be available near instantly. The time delay only affects 160MHz.

Thanks a lot i will test some more tomorrow and will keep you al posted if this was the fix for my current problem!

This is not true (or shouldn't be). As noted above he was using 80MHz on channel 116 which covers channels 116 to 128, so it has to wait 10 minutes.
That's not my experience at all. Even if I force channel 116 it's available instantly with no Pre ISM Channel Availability Check.
Or maybe there's something wrong with my router - the behaviour is the same after a factory reset.
Selection_001.png

Last edited:
That's not my experience at all. Even if I force channel 116 it's available instantly with no Pre ISM Channel Availability Check.
Reboot the router rather than just applying the change in the GUI. Then see how long it takes for the 5GHz channel to become available compared to 2.4GHz.

About 40 seconds max.
I'll not be doing it again, I'm already on a second reboot after putting the settings back.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor Screenshot from Laptop connected to 5GHz - clearly a connection is available.
Selection_002.png

How about you doing this to disprove what I'm showing everyone here? 80MHz available whilst waiting for 160.

Last edited:
About 20 seconds max.
I'll not be doing it again, I'm already on a second reboot after putting the settings back.
That's very strange, and nothing like what I've experienced on any of my Asus routers. Even ignoring the 10 minute issue, there's also a legal requirement for a 1 minute wait on all the other DFS channels. So I can't imagine how yours is coming up only 20 seconds after the 2.4GHz band.

How about you doing this to disprove what I'm showing everyone here? 80MHz available whilst waiting for 160.
I would get the same result as you because you're using 20/40/80/160 on channel 100. So it's downrated to 100/80 while it waits the extra 9 minutes (CAC) to verify that 100/160 can also be used. My router on the other hand is using 20/40/80/160 on channel 124 so it has to wait the full 10 minutes before becoming active at all (at boot up).

Last edited:
I would get the same result as you because you're using 20/40/80/160 on channel 100. So it's downrated to 100/80 while it waits the extra 9 minutes (CAC) to verify that 100/160 can also be used. My router on the other hand is using 20/40/80/160 on channel 124 so it has to wait the full 10 minutes before becoming active at all.
I'm in the uk so I won't get 160MHz on channel 124. I'll give 116 a shot.