What's new

How to delete a wifi network using SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

copywizard

Occasional Visitor
Ok i have done something weird.

So the story goes as follows i had a AX92U and somehow it was quitting on me every few days and i had to reboot is to get my internet working again.
Now i bought a brand new AX86U Pro and i,am installing it right now.

Now i took the lazy way and i have tried to import an config file of the AX92U to the AX86U Pro which on first glance worked perfectly.
Until i saw that there where 3 wifi networks like there where on my AX92U i used to have 3 wifi networks i did not use the "smart" connect feature and splitted out my wifi in 3 networks.

Now because i copied the config of the AX92U to the new AX86U Pro it also copied the third wifi network but the AX86U Pro does not support the splitting in 3 wifi network at most it supports 2 wifi networks.

So my question is how can i delete this network maybe using SSH from the front page? because i can,t find it in de "wireless" menu?

Capture.PNG

There is no second 5Ghz band on the AX86U Pro for now it works but i would like to have it gone :)

I was thinking i could spin up my AX92U again and merge the wifi and then export and import that config to the AX86U Pro?

Now i took the lazy way and i have tried to import an config file of the AX92U to the AX86U Pro which on first glance worked perfectly.
No, no, no. DO NOT import a CFG from one router model to another! You should do a hard factory reset of the RT-AX86U Pro and configure it manually without importing the RT-AX92U CFG file.

Importing a CFG file, as you discovered, from a different router model can cause problems which is why it is not usually recommended.

No, no, no. DO NOT import a CFG from one router model to another! You should do a hard factory reset of the RT-AX86U Pro and configure it manually without importing the RT-AX92U CFG file.

Importing a CFG file, as you discovered, from a different router model can cause problems which is why it is not usually recommended.
Thanks for the quick reply.

i now understand this was not very smart and i even thought it would not work and the process would time or error out but it did not.

I have to start over from scratch especially because i have like 50+ hosts in the DHCP table with pre defined IP addresses.

and as you says "it is not usually recommended."

But you are sure starting over would be beter then going to route i did and not try to delete the extra wifi network?

I would say "it's never recommended" when moving to a different model of router that has completely different hardware.

But you are sure starting over would be beter then going to route i did and not try to delete the extra wifi network?
Do the hard reset and start again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

i now understand this was not very smart and i even thought it would not work and the process would time or error out but it did not.

I have to start over from scratch especially because i have like 50+ hosts in the DHCP table with pre defined IP addresses.

and as you says "it is not usually recommended."

As you're running merlin you could install YazDHCP and use that to export your dhcp clients, and then import them onto the new router.

If you are running the Merlin firmware on the RT-AX92U and you haven't changed any of it's DHCP reservations, simply install YazDHCP and export/save the DHCP reservations. Then configure the RT-AX86U Pro LAN IP address settings the same as those on the RT-AX92U, install YazDHCP to the Rt-AX86U Pro and import the exported/saved YazDHCP DHCP reservation file. Then hit the apply button.

Or use the various other suggested ways of exporting and importing the DHCP reservations that can be found using the forum search feature. For example one previously discussed method:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...ed-ip-around-the-dhcp-list.81867/#post-802773

Yes. It will in all likelihood take less time to simply perform a hard factory reset and reconfigure then you will spend time trying to troubleshoot all the issues importing the RT-AX92U configuration file into the RT-AX86U Pro (may have) caused.

I would say "it's never recommended" when moving to a different model of router that has completely different hardware.
The problem is some people on the internet saying otherwise and people follow what they say.

Ok so i have done a factory reset but now i have spend alot of time setting up all the DHCP leases and stuff but now my 5GHZ band is completly gone atleast in the router it says its turned on but no device can find it only the 2.4Ghz band can be found an connected to?

this is after i turned on the guest networks for both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands also i have already rebooted my router multiple times.

update: after turning off and on the radio for 5g makes it come back for 1 min when i try to connect it fails and gone is the 5ghz again?!?!

second update : after turning off the 5ghz guest network i had a stabile connection but once i turned on the 5ghz guest network it was gone? very weird this behavior?!?

3rd update: this behavior is to sporadic so i turned off WPS and gone was my 5ghz again then turning off and on the guest network brought it back and then it was gone again an then after a few min it came back and i turned on the guest network and it was gone again am i missing something here?

Last edited:
Ok so i have done a factory reset but now i have spend alot of time setting up all the DHCP leases
Not a factory reset but a hard factory reset:

You may have to do more than one as a troubleshooting step.

Did you see the posts above that suggest using YazDHCP (or other methods) on the old router (if running Merlin) to export or backup the DHCP leases/reservations? You can import those reservations into the new router saving you all that time recreating them.

Last edited:
Not a factory reset but a hard factory reset:

You may have to do more than one as a troubleshooting step.

Did you see the posts above that suggest using YazFi (or other methods) on the old router (if running Merlin) to export or backup the DHCP leases/reservations? You can import those reservations into the new router saving you all that time recreating them.

I have seen the posts about YazFi which sounds perfect but i,am just running stock firmware but i could always put custom merlin on it ?

does anyone have a link to a good tutorial how to setup YazFi because i need it on both devices i think?

anyway i did the factory reset in the firmware itself instead of a hard factory reset didn,t even know that was a thing! and you say i have to do multiple? i just finished all the DHCP setup :(

UPDATE: ok so far so good i just installed the latest merlin firmware successfully then i installed YazDHCP using the github page which was also successful and i also exported my dhcp list thus so far so good.

Also done 2 hard factory resets now without any luck the 5GHz band still keep disappearing out of nowhere.

think i just have to send this router back ? think i broke it ?

Last edited:
I have seen the posts about YazFi which sounds perfect but i,am just running stock firmware but i could always put custom merlin on it ?
Sorry I meant YazDHCP with respect to the DHCP reservations.

If you are interested in the separate script YazFi which is for Guest WiFi network(s), see the Add-On subforum for various discussions on YazFi.
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin-addons.60/?prefix_id=13

Sorry I meant YazDHCP with respect to the DHCP reservations.

If you are interested in the separate script YazFi which is for Guest WiFi network(s), see the Add-On subforum for various discussions on YazFi.
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin-addons.60/?prefix_id=13
Thanks but indeed I needed YazDHCP and this helped me out alot with the dhcp list I now have an offline copy of it and restoring worked also so I know this works now.

But now I think I broke my fresh new router by uploading that invalid CFG file from another router think I just have to send it back because even multiple hard resets didn't change the problem :(

As a last resort, you may want to try the 9-step "nuclear reset" process by the well-known forum member @L&LD . Some people believe it, some people don't. But given the circumstances, I think you have nothing to lose.

Unless your router has a hardware problem, there's a good chance you'll recover it. If the "nuclear reset" doesn't work, then it's very likely your router is indeed defective, in which case you should return it.

Good luck!

Also done 2 hard factory resets now without any luck the 5GHz band still keep disappearing out of nowhere.
What do the logs show? Does the log indicate any errors or wifi issues? What does 5ghz band keeps disappearing mean? What method are you using to determine its missing? Posting screenshots of your wifi settings may help.

One of the major problems with restoring nvram from another router is the BSSIDs get messed up. If this is the problem a nuclear reset as suggested above is the last chance road to recovery. At the end of that road there's a place called firmware recovery, but that's not for those not confident in doing it.

As a last resort, you may want to try the 9-step "nuclear reset" process by the well-known forum member @L&LD . Some people believe it, some people don't. But given the circumstances, I think you have nothing to lose.

Unless your router has a hardware problem, there's a good chance you'll recover it. If the "nuclear reset" doesn't work, then it's very likely your router is indeed defective, in which case you should return it.

Good luck!
Thanks I will try this today and keep you posted.

What do the logs show? Does the log indicate any errors or wifi issues? What does 5ghz band keeps disappearing mean? What method are you using to determine its missing? Posting screenshots of your wifi settings may help.
Sorry if it was not clear.

But what happens is the 2.4ghz band is always visible under all circumstances.

But when I do the slightest change in the firmware like enable or disable WPS or enable/disable any guest network the 5ghz band disappears from my phone's wifi menu I van also see the connected devices count drop from 20+ to like 10- in the routers dashboard.

And I used multiple phones one iphone one pixel 7 pro and one Samsung they all loose the connection at the same time to the 5ghz band.

It will stay away untill I change another setting like mentioned above then it will pop up again for a few seconds but nothing is able to connect to it and after like 10 to 20 seconds it disappears again.

Most of the time it takes like 4 or 5 random changes in the Asus router to make the 5ghz band stable for some time right now it is working for 8/10 hours or so.

But it's really really unstable so I will try the nuclear option tonight and report back the results

Thanks alot for the fast help everyone !

But when I do the slightest change in the firmware like enable or disable WPS or enable/disable any guest network the 5ghz band disappears from my phone's wifi menu I van also see the connected devices count drop from 20+ to like 10- in the routers dashboard.

And I used multiple phones one iphone one pixel 7 pro and one Samsung they all loose the connection at the same time to the 5ghz band.

It will stay away untill I change another setting like mentioned above then it will pop up again for a few seconds but nothing is able to connect to it and after like 10 to 20 seconds it disappears again.

Most of the time it takes like 4 or 5 random changes in the Asus router to make the 5ghz band stable for some time right now it is working for 8/10 hours or so.

But it's really really unstable so I will try the nuclear option tonight and report back the results

It would also be good to look at the wireless log and post a screenshot when the 5GHz is dead.

You need to check what the logs on the router show when the 5GHz goes down or is unavailable. The problem is likely on the router if the 5GHz WiFi isn't coming back up, so look at the logs to see what they indicate, if anything.

5GHz may be waiting for DFS channel scan. Set the 5GHZ band to channel 36 at 80MHz as a way to avoid DFS for now, and see if it’s stable.