What's new

How to disable DNS query forwarding?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarceloRedfield

New Around Here
Right now I have in my network my router and a RPi running Pihole + Unbound which is my DNS resolver.
I believe I have disabled all router DNS forwarding settings, but it still keeps port 53 open (no 853) and any queries sent to the router are then forwarded and resolved by the RPi. While not a big deal, a few not-so-well-behaved devices on my network attempt to use the router as its DNS server. While queries are ultimately filtered and responded by the RPi, I wanted to ultimately have the router stop forwarding queries by disabling the appropriate setting instead of a more drastic measure like closing it's port or something like that. I feel like I'm missing something stupid but I can't find what setting I need to disable. DNS Director is disabled.

Any chance someone could lend me a hand? Thanks in advance!

Router: RT-AX88U
FW: 388.1
Router: 192.168.1.1
RPi: 192.168.1.2

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ nmap 192.168.1.1
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-02-20 11:46 CST
Nmap scan report for AsusRouter (192.168.1.1)
Host is up (0.00064s latency).
Not shown: 993 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp open ssh
53/tcp open domain
80/tcp open http
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
8200/tcp open trivnet1

1676915066136.png

1676914872753.png

1676914943570.png

You can't block traffic destined for the router using Network Services Filter. That's only for traffic sent to the WAN interface.

There's no option in the GUI to disable the router's DNS server. IIRC you can do it by using a custom config file (dnsmasq.conf.add) and setting port=0.

Perfect, that did the trick.

I was aware the Network Services Filter was for WAN only, but just added here in the rare instance that could be related to the forwards (I know, unlikely, and seems silly now thinking of it).

Thank you so much for the help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!