What's new

How to disable logging on Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dirtfarmmonkeyfish

New Around Here
I would like to disable all logging on my AC68U running Merlin 384.10_2. I've found in the past with other firmware such as Tomato that logging adds a slight amount of latency that is noticeable on wired connection.

Under System Log I don't see any such option to disable all forms of logging in Merlin. Is there a way of doing this somehow? I currently have it set on emergency and critical. I'm not sure if this will provide the least amount of logging.

Considering on average there might be 8-10 log entries per day, it won't have any performance impact.

I would like to disable all logging on my AC68U running Merlin 384.10_2. I've found in the past with other firmware such as Tomato that logging adds a slight amount of latency that is noticeable on wired connection.
You probably mean the Dnsmasq log entries. Believe me, the delay is barely noticeable - if at all.
Not worth tinkering at all in that area.

Considering on average there might be 8-10 log entries per day, it won't have any performance impact.

8 to 10 on his settings?

I usually get 8 to 10 per minute on the default settings.

8 to 10 on his settings?

Yes, what are the default settings as I get a load of then every minute as well? I'm not worried about resource drain but I am curious what the normal settings are for the system log.

8 to 10 on his settings?

Assuming OP has no scripts installed and uses default settings, no VPN, file sharing and so on, 8 - 10 is absolutely true. I've seen it myself.

Assuming OP has no scripts installed and uses default settings, no VPN, file sharing and so on, 8 - 10 is absolutely true. I've seen it myself.

Same here. Can't post a screenshot right now to support that since I've been rebooting/reconfiguring my router too often these past few days while doing dev stuff, but there were days in the past where I had as few as 5 entries during that day. Basically I get 2-4 entries for expired NAT-PMP ports, Maybe a few assoc/dissoc entries from my phone/tablet if I go out with them, and that's about it.

Always depends on what you have configured. Enabling dnsmasq or firewall logging will definitely generate lots of intensive traffic - you just have to disable these.

Log level : critical

log is full of BSD messages (smartconnect?)

I would like to disable this log writing.
I want to reduce the write load of JFFS.
Thanks
IMG_0331.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
Not something you should be worried about on the GT-AXE16000 in late 2023.

this thread helped

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/logging.62523/

"When Asuswrt logs a message internally (i.e. not from a service like dnsmasq, but the firmware code itself), it assigns the "Default message log level" to it.

"Log only messages more urgent than " will define what is shown when viewing your log. So if you want to see debug output from dnsmasq for instance, you need to set that to "All"

asus hiba.JPG

Still won't affect the nand via JFFS writes, but glad you found info you deem valuable.

unfortunately it doesn't work. :( :(
unnecessary, useless logos

IMG_0335.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 7
Don't know what all you've tried, but I see "debug" visible in that second thumbnail. Debug is generally quite verbose.

Don't know what all you've tried, but I see "debug" visible in that second thumbnail. Debug is generally quite verbose.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/logging.62523/

"When Asuswrt logs a message internally (i.e. not from a service like dnsmasq, but the firmware code itself), it assigns the "Default message log level" to it.

"Log only messages more urgent than " will define what is shown when viewing your log. So if you want to see debug output from dnsmasq for instance, you need to set that to "All"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!