What's new

How to disable "Smart Connect" on AC5300 - Merlin 384.13

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C

COBOL-Coder

When I first installed my AC5300 I was enamored with Smart Connect, now, not so much. I've decided to disable SC and return to the more (my opinion) reliable "do it yourself" option. My question is finding the best way to accomplish this without starting from scratch. Any step by step advice would be much appreciated.

When I first installed my AC5300 I was enamored with Smart Connect, now, not so much. I've decided to disable SC and return to the more (my opinion) reliable "do it yourself" option. My question is finding the best way to accomplish this without starting from scratch. Any step by step advice would be much appreciated.

Just turn it OFF and change the WiFi settings to what you want. Assuming most of your wireless clients use 5.0 GHz, keep that SSID and define a separate 2.4 GHz SSID.

I use these settings:

o 2.4 GHz WLAN to OE-24, n-only, 20 MHz, ch 1,6,11 or 1,5,9,13 (non-overlapping; use least congested), WPA2-Personal AES*

o 5.0 GHz WLAN to OE, n/ac mixed, 80 MHz, ch 149 or above (US, non-radar, highest Tx power), WPA2-Personal AES*

If I return to using Smart Connect and same SSIDs, OE-24 will become OE again.

OE

Thanks OE, for taking the time. As a Very Senior Member this exercise must be like childs play but to someone with my level of router implementaion experience, it can be daunting. I know enough to turn it off, its the details of assigning each client to a bandwidth that escape me. I can work selecting the best channel(s) but when you write "o 2.4 GHz WLAN to OE-24, n-only, 20 MHz, ch 1,6,11 or 1,5,9,13 (non-overlapping; use least congested), WPA2-Personal AES*" while some of it is discernable the OE-24, n-only, etc. is Greek to me. I'll give it a shot though. Thanks again.

Thanks OE, for taking the time. As a Very Senior Member this exercise must be like childs play but to someone with my level of router implementaion experience, it can be daunting. I know enough to turn it off, its the details of assigning each client to a bandwidth that escape me. I can work selecting the best channel(s) but when you write "o 2.4 GHz WLAN to OE-24, n-only, 20 MHz, ch 1,6,11 or 1,5,9,13 (non-overlapping; use least congested), WPA2-Personal AES*" while some of it is discernable the OE-24, n-only, etc. is Greek to me. I'll give it a shot though. Thanks again.

Those are just the select settings I make in the router webUI under Wireless for each band. If you can login to the router and poke around, you will find these settings... be sure to select the band first to see its settings.

You do not change anything on the clients other than select and define their WLAN connection. Their WLAN adapter may have settings, but the defaults are often adequate.

Also, there are many FAQs to read on the ASUS Support website for a given router model.

Feel free to ask specific questions.

OE

Those are just the select settings I make in the router webUI under Wireless for each band. If you can login to the router and poke around, you will find these settings... be sure to select the band first to see its settings.

You do not change anything on the clients other than select and define their WLAN connection. Their WLAN adapter may have settings, but the defaults are often adequate.

Also, there are many FAQs to read on the ASUS Support website for a given router model.

OE

OE

Thanks OE, thats all very helpful, I'll give that a try...

Thanks OE, that's all very helpful, I'll certainly give that a try, thanks again…

You wont find OE-24 with google or in this forum.
OE-24 is nothing else as his SSID (OzarkEdge-2.4G), you could name yours CC-24 ;)