What's new

How to do "echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TexasDave

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to execute the "echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping" command line in Merlin.

I am on an RT-AC86U running Merlin.

Why am I tryng to do this? I want to get a utility working (AirConnect) and in the README it talks about ASUS routers having an issue:

"When players disappear regularly, it might be that your router is filtering out multicast packets. For example, for a Asus AC-RT68U, you have to login by ssh and run echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping but it does not stay after a reboot."

This utility allows an iPad or iPhone to connect to a Chromecast. The Chromecast appears to be a "AirPlay" device to iPads and iPhones and AirConnect acts as a bridge. Using various sniffers - I can see the Chromecasts advertised as AIrPlay devices but iPhones and iPads cannot see them. I suspect there is a router issue (probably a setting(s)) and/or ports that need opened.

I can see there are are threads (here, here and here) that also discuss this in other contexts.

I cannot run the command "echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping" from the commnad line even though I am ssh in as the admin account. And I have tried to put the command in "/jffs/scripts/init-start" but that also does not seem to work.

Any ideas how I can execute "echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping" directly or through a script?

Thanks!

As explained in those threads that you linked to that command is not applicable to your router because multicast is handled by mcpd. Although TBH I think that's only applicable when it relates to proxying for IPTV. It's closed source so it's difficult to guess what is actually happening.

Last edited:
Thanks @ColinTaylor - sorry, the whole topic is a bit confusing to me. Any ideas on how I can experiment to see why AirConnect will not work? I killed the mcpd process but my devices still do not show up on iPads or iPhones. but shows up on the AirPad sniffers I am using?

I may have to breakdown and buy a used AppleTV device...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!