What's new

How to install cake qos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mainguy29

New Around Here
Please help me install cake qos. I have no idea where to start. The links dnt help explain step one..where do I find it? How do I install it to my router? I dnt understand at all can some one help please I’ve been researching for months amd I can’t find any hmu

Cake QoS is built into the latest versions of the Merlin Firmware.
You can just enable Cake under the QoS tab as long as you have a supported router.

The third party CakeQoS addon is not required for Cake to work. The addon just exposes some extra tweaking parameters that are not really required (the default settings are sensible).

Welcome to the forums @Mainguy29.

What specific model router do you have? What specific firmware are you running?

What links are you referring to that don't explain step one?

Cake QoS is built into the latest versions of the Merlin Firmware.
You can just enable Cake under the QoS tab as long as you have a supported router.

The third party CakeQoS addon is not required for Cake to work. The addon just exposes some extra tweaking parameters that are not really required (the default settings are sensible).
Ok so Rt Ac5300 is not supported? Probably why I haven’t found anything on it. Is there of list of routers that support cake qos?

Ok so Rt Ac5300 is not supported? Probably why I haven’t found anything on it. Is there of list of routers that support cake qos?
It is not supported.

Routers that are built with a HND chipset. These are generally most router models starting with the RT-AC86U or newer. The RT-AC5300 is a fair bit older than that. These ones run a Linux kernel that contains the necessary code/patches to support cake.

The link you posted lists the routers that were supported when the old CakeQoS script was first released, and the subsequent release notes added a few extra models (at the time, special entware packages were required for specifically supported models).

Thank you so very much. Could you possibly point me to a list that shows all available asus routers that support cake or should I look for product details that say they support Linux? Ok see the rt ac86u has Linux but there are a few that are higher priced that don’t say anything like the rt ax82u

Thank you so very much. Could you possibly point me to a list that shows all available asus routers that support cake or should I look for product details that say they support Linux? Ok see the rt ac86u has Linux but there are a few that are higher priced that don’t say anything like the rt ax82u
They all run the Linux kernel, but older routers run an older version of the Linux kernel (and that's something that can't be updated).

Most of the "ax" model routers should support cake, though there are a couple of exceptions. The RT-AC86U was one of the earlier "HND" routers and will be a cheaper option if you are looking to buy something.

The post you linked to contains a list of supported routers for the older script which is a good starting point:
(look at the supported routers line)

The later changelog post contains a list of routers where support was added later:

The latest firmware incorporates native cake support, and I don't know which extra router models were added to the cake support list that differs from the ones listed in those links I posted.

They all run the Linux kernel, but older routers run an older version of the Linux kernel (and that's something that can't be updated).

Most of the "ax" model routers should support cake, though there are a couple of exceptions. The RT-AC86U was one of the earlier "HND" routers and will be a cheaper option if you are looking to buy something.

The post you linked to contains a list of supported routers for the older script which is a good starting point:
(look at the supported routers line)

The later changelog post contains a list of routers where support was added later:

The latest firmware incorporates native cake support, and I don't know which extra router models were added to the cake support list that differs from the ones listed in those links I posted.
supported by Merlin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!