What's new

How to keep a device on main node in a dual RT-AC86U router AiMesh set up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erizock

Occasional Visitor
Hoping to get some advice a minor annoyance...

I have two (2) RT-AC86Us set up in AiMesh Router mode with a traditional mode with AiMesh functionality. I've noticed that that my Ring Alarm Base Station peridoically disconnects for a minute or so and then reconnects right after. To me, it might seem that my Ring Base station switches between my main RT-AC86U router which is close to cable modem (on other side of wall) and the AiMesh node all the way upstairs. It's kinda annoying so I was wondering if there is a way to keep my Ring base station (and other devices) on the main (and closer) node.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

Hoping to get some advice a minor annoyance...

I have two (2) RT-AC86Us set up in AiMesh Router mode with a traditional mode with AiMesh functionality. I've noticed that that my Ring Alarm Base Station peridoically disconnects for a minute or so and then reconnects right after. To me, it might seem that my Ring Base station switches between my main RT-AC86U router which is close to cable modem (on other side of wall) and the AiMesh node all the way upstairs. It's kinda annoying so I was wondering if there is a way to keep my Ring base station (and other devices) on the main (and closer) node.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

If using the 2.4 GHz band and the 86Us are not very far apart, the Ring unit may be seeing two strong signals and can't make up its mind. You could try using the router roaming block list and/or reduce the router 2.4 Tx power.

A workaround... use a guest WLAN on the router.

OE

If using the 2.4 GHz band and the 86Us are not very far apart, the Ring unit may be seeing two strong signals and can't make up its mind. You could try using the router roaming block list and/or reduce the router 2.4 Tx power.

A workaround... use a guest WLAN on the router.

OE
Thanks so much for your reply, OzarkEdge. But i am admittedly a bit of network novice. Can you let me know how to either:
1) use the router roaming block list
or
2) how to reduce the router 2.4 Tx power.

Thanks so much for your reply, OzarkEdge. But i am admittedly a bit of network novice. Can you let me know how to either:
1) use the router roaming block list
or
2) how to reduce the router 2.4 Tx power.

Login to the router webUI and see the Wireless\Professional tab for the Tx Performance slider... this may reduce Tx power for the selected band.

Also see Wireless\Roaming Block List tab. Search 'roaming block list' in the FAQ search field at the bottom of the page for instructions. Google stuff to read and learn about it... lots of info out there.

How far apart in feet are your 68Us?

OE

I don't know if it is limited to the beta, or if the beta is even available to your model. But there is a "bind" button in the AIMesh menu
bind.png

Login to the router webUI and see the Wireless\Professional tab for the Tx Performance slider... this may reduce Tx power for the selected band.

Also see Wireless\Roaming Block List tab. Search 'roaming block list' in the FAQ search field at the bottom of the page for instructions. Google stuff to read and learn about it... lots of info out there.

How far apart in feet are your 68Us?

OE
Thanks again! I added the device to the roaming block list. I think that should do it. And to answer your question, the nodes are about 100 ft apart and on different floors of the house.

Thanks again! I added the device to the roaming block list. I think that should do it. And to answer your question, the nodes are about 100 ft apart and on different floors of the house.

That's a healthy wireless distance... probably don't want to moderate/reduce Tx power.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!