What's new

How to keep devices in arp table?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akb

I use Home assistant and I like to keep tabs on some of my devices like managed switches and ESXi hosts. The issue i run into is that these devices do not stay in the arp table as I guess the device never reaches out for internet activity. I tried using a network scanner which will ping/reach each of these devices and that did not work either. Maybe someone ran into a similar issue as me and found a solution. thanks!

Reason why this is in Merlin forums, is because I am open to any addons, opt packages, etc to get this resolved.

Thanks!!

Code:
arp -s ip-address mac-address

be aware that sometimes the arp table gets flushed (I noticed that when doing some GUI operations). Therefore I have created a cron job to re-run the arp commands I need. In my cases, this is needed to have WOL working.
N.B. format of mac address is XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Code:
arp -s ip-address mac-address

be aware that sometimes the arp table gets flushed (I noticed that when doing some GUI operations). Therefore I have created a cron job to re-run the arp commands I need. In my cases, this is needed to have WOL working.
N.B. format of mac address is XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Cool will try this. May i ask how often you run the cron job?

Are you sure this is actually an arp table issue (on the router). TBH it doesn't sound like it.
I am doing more research, but in home assistant there is a asuswrt plugin which needs ssh access which I assumed dumped the arp table to show if a device is connected or not. i guess it looks somewhere else...

Code:
arp -a |grep PERM

will give you a list of devices that have been defined as static in the ARP table and thus will remain there until table is flushed ... so, if you correctly see them there, your issue is not arp related as mentioned by @ColinTaylor

I use Home assistant and I like to keep tabs on some of my devices like managed switches and ESXi hosts. The issue i run into is that these devices do not stay in the arp table as I guess the device never reaches out for internet activity. I tried using a network scanner which will ping/reach each of these devices and that did not work either. Maybe someone ran into a similar issue as me and found a solution. thanks!

Reason why this is in Merlin forums, is because I am open to any addons, opt packages, etc to get this resolved.

Thanks!!

Are entries are meant to expire to keep the forwarding tables short and thus fast. I suggest you use DHCP reservations and if the list is too large for that, a spreadsheet

Are entries are meant to expire to keep the forwarding tables short and thus fast. I suggest you use DHCP reservations and if the list is too large for that, a spreadsheet
Or install YazDHCP via AMTM. Much better than Asus stock stuff!

Ok so according to asuswrt plugin it looks at the dnsmasq.leases file, but my devices are always in this list... now i am confused on how they are away.

Ok so according to asuswrt plugin it looks at the dnsmasq.leases file, but my devices are always in this list... now i am confused on how they are away.
Do you have a link to this plugin? Maybe we can spot a problem with it.

What router model and firmware version do you have?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!