What's new

How to Lower Range of wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Do I lower the Tx power adjustment to shorten the range from my router?

Sure, if it works.

The last time I played with Tx power settings it seemed pretty obvious that the actual power used depended on the distance to the client and the throughput that was asked of the router. Back then, 200mW was my standard setting as it made a great difference in the stability and throughput of the signal anywhere in my small offices. But range, wasn't affected.

What is your goal? Are you only using wireless in a single room?

Just to limit my range. At my mother's house we own the house next door and empty lot and it's about maybe 20-25yrs away and I was getting a Wi-Fi signal from her place at the rental. The house on the other side has no lot between the houses and probably can see the Wi-Fi network. For my situation I just want to limit the range to just my own house. Now the other Router is a D-Link. I'm using an Asus N66U

That must be some D-Link that can get signal from 20-25 yrs away. :)

I don't understand why you need to limit it? The signal will travel as far as it can, but that doesn't mean it will be usable at that range.

Short of cladding your walls and windows with metal, even turning the Tx power all the way down will not prevent the signal from being detected outside the house. ;)

lol, it's actually a flux capacitor router! lol

meant yards.

i just don't like the idea of my singal being tapped, sounds like you like the idea of using other peoples wifi, hah ;)

That's what the password is for.

If you are using WPA encryption, you are secure. If anybody cracks your signal, they have applied sufficient horsepower to the job that you have much bigger worries. (Like hiring a good defense attorney and watching your back.) (e.g. it's a government agency, and it's a high-priority case.)

WEP is easily cracked and should not be used.

Some hacker applying this kind of horsepower is going to be sitting in a Target parking lot, not in front of your house, and is going to be there long enough that the employees all greet him coming and going and bring him Christmas gifts every year.

Last edited:
#0:maxp2ga0=106 <--- 2.4g
#0:maxp2ga1=106 <--- 2.4g
#0:maxp2ga2=106 <--- 2.4g
#1:maxp5ga0=106,106,106,106 <--- 5g
#1:maxp5ga1=106,106,106,106 <--- 5g
#1:maxp5ga2=106,106,106,106 <--- 5g

#4 = 1 dBm (1.3 mW) / 114 = 27 dBm (500 mW) / 120 = 28.50 dBm (708 mW)

Just lower the value in telnet with: "nvram set" and do a "nvram commit" and "reboot".

Last edited:
I didn't really want to get into the security aspect of it but thanks for the info.. if the connection doesn't reach others than it's actually better than any encryption imo

I agree with the theory that if the signal isn't available then there is zero chance of hacking it.

But, wireless doesn't work that way. Unless you make your house a Faraday cage.

Think of the minute signal coming from space probes back to earth launched decades ago. No offence intended, but I don't think your particular network is on anyone's radar as holding any of the important secrets of the earth. :)

I agree with the theory that if the signal isn't available then there is zero chance of hacking it.

But, wireless doesn't work that way. Unless you make your house a Faraday cage.

Think of the minute signal coming from space probes back to earth launched decades ago. No offence intended, but I don't think your particular network is on anyone's radar as holding any of the important secrets of the earth. :)

lol that is true, i just get the feeling like my butt is hanging in the breeze, hehe :)

Thanks for all your help, and to everyone too, you've been enlightening :)

Cheers!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!