What's new

Solved How to redirect my local domain to an externally hosted web server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pianopete

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

My local domain on my Asus AC68U running Merlin is, for example myname.co.uk. All of my local machines therefore can resolve names such as laptop1.myname.co.uk and get the local IP address.

I have an external web server www.myname.co.uk running on a digital ocean server. My problem is that at home, I can't see www.myname.co.uk unless I use a VPN (I'm guessing that this is because the VPN is using a different DNS server).

What is the best way for me to set up some form of redirect for the whole of the internal network inside the Asus router, so that a web browser is redirected to the Digital Ocean web server rather than seeing the message "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site." ?

I know that I could fix this for myself by adding something to my laptop /etc/hosts file but I'm looking for a site-wide solution.

At the moment I use the Asus router for DNS.

Pete

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!