What's new

How to save/restore LAN - DHCP Server - Manually Assigned IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdc

Regular Contributor
I have had to do a clean install recently, and one of the pain points was recreating the manually assigned IP list. I have a system for numbering the ~20 or so clients on my network, along with custom icons, descriptions, and hostnames. I now track the info in a spreadsheet so it can be recreated, but it's still some work to enter all the information.

Is it possible to save and restore those settings without affecting all settings? Would it be as straightforward as copying certain nvram parameters and then restoring them?

I see some that look relevant:
  • custom_clientlist
  • dhcp_staticlist
But I do not see where hostnames are configured, nor custom icons. Any tips or pointers?

Thanks!
Paul

Use dnsmasq.cong.add and hosts.add
When you have more than a dozen static hosts, best to ditch the WebGUI/nvram.

Reactions: pdc
Thanks for the tips! In case others find this useful, I also found this thread for a dhcp_staticlist and dhcp_hostnames utility and related github info, which has a bunch of details on nvram parameters. The thread suggests using Xentrk's NVRAM Save/Restore Utility going forward. It does seem to be rather involved, involving changes for different models and firmware versions, so I can see why the dnsmasq approach might work better long-term.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!