What's new

save/upload Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Helder Santos

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Is there a way to Save/Upload just the Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list configuration?

This would be useful after a factory reset. Don't mind doing a basic configuration, but would like to save time
and upload just the assigned IP and macs.

Thanks

The easy way for some devices is rather than setting Manual IPs on the router, set static IPs on the devices themselves. That way even after a full reset, all you have to do is set the DHCP range back to how it was!

Last edited:
Is there a way to Save/Upload just the Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list configuration?

Yes, plus some more. Save the following files from /jffs/nvram:

custom_clientlist
custom_usericon
dhcp_staticlist

After reset, enable Manual Assignment in DHCP, restore the files, reboot.

You have all your DHCP reservations, custom client names and icons back.

The easy way is rather than setting Manual IPs on the router, set static IPs on the devices themselves.

Not applicable for most IoT devices like lights, switches, smart plugs, etc.

The easy way is rather than setting Manual IPs on the router, set static IPs on the devices themselves. That way even after a full reset, all you have to do is set the DHCP range back to how it was!

Eh, the issue there is if you want to change DNS or other settings you have to go manually update all the clients. They also will be less likely to show in the client list when set as static from my experience. It is easy enough to backup and restore the manual list.

Not applicable for most IoT devices like lights, switches, smart plugs, etc.
Exactly what I was about to answer. Some devices only work DHCP

Yes, plus some more. Save the following files from /jffs/nvram:

custom_clientlist
custom_usericon
dhcp_staticlist

After reset, enable Manual Assignment in DHCP, restore the files, reboot.

You have all your DHCP reservations, custom client names and icons back.
Pretty cool! Thanks for this !

Quick question...
I just tried to copy the files via sftp... I don't seem to find the folder /jffs/nvram

Is it under a specific folder?

Thanks

EDIT: Found it! Simply need to download from Asus Merlin Administration under Restore/Save Tab in the JFFS Partition...
Simple backup the file and voila! :)

Last edited:
Now my question.... to restore the files.
I also use the GUI and select Restore JFFS partition and select one file at the time?

Thanks

If you are asking about save/restore of the files above - use WinSCP portable or similar. File protocol SCP. It works in Asuswrt-Merlin, but not in stock Asuswrt. SCP was removed from stock Asuswrt as part of improved firmware security.

To save and restore the manual DHCP reserverations, you can load YazDHCP from amtm. It's a customization of the LAN/DHCP GUI page. There's an option to save and restore the DHCP reservations. It creates a CSV file with the information. It doesn't save everything on that page. It doesn't store any modified icons or the Client Name.

I use that whenever I have to reset to factory. You can use saving and restoring jffs as described above but I find it easier to just reload everything. My USB key was having issues so I swapped in an old SSD and back up pretty quick.

Other things I had to set back up, other than the software I reinstalled with amtm, were the VPN clients and VPN servers I had set up.

Last edited:
To save and restore the manual DHCP reserverations, you can load YazDHCP from amtm. It's a customization of the LAN/DHCP GUI page. There's an option to save and restore the DHCP reservations. It creates a CSV file with the information. It doesn't save everything on that page. It doesn't store any modified icons or the Client Name.
So after a reset you install back YazDHCP and then restore?

Yes.

amtm comes built-in to the firmware. I just go into amtm and re-install all of the items I had installed before. I take screenshots of those pages that I want to before resetting.

And as an added bonus using YazDHCP, the exported file is in a format you can manually edit in Excel. You can get a better view of reservations and do faster ”bulk“ edits.
I recently moved and left some smart switches, dimmers etc. with the previous house. I was able to cleanup my DHCP reservations quickly using Excel then import back.

Just wanted to say that it worked A1! Thanks for the tip!

Is there a tool like YazDHCP for Port Forward ?

What's the benefit of using AMTM to install YazDHCP ? Thanks
There's no difference particularly. amtm is (amongst other things) a launcher for various third party addon's installers. It just saves you having to search the forums for each addon's thread to find the install command.

What's the benefit of using AMTM to install YazDHCP ? Thanks
When you have over of 50 devices with reserved IP it becomes easier to reassign those IP addresses and details when you reset your router with a restore of a file.
I also prefer the whole amtm package to install those apps it becomes more user friendly

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!