What's new

How to send AImesh Node Syslog to central server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

On the main AP node I set it under System Log - General Log but how do I set it on the remote mesh node?
Searches only shows using Scribe; I dont want to do that.
I do have Marlin installed on both main and remote nodes,

thanks!

It's been awhile, but I recall it "just working" to set the server's IP address on the main node; that seemed to propagate to remote nodes just fine. A gotcha is that there is no way to configure the system name that the remote nodes will send to the syslog server --- it will be something involving their MAC address.

If it's not working for you, the first thing I'd check is the configuration of the syslog server. You might find that its firewall is dropping rsyslog packets from all but the main node, or that the rsyslog daemon itself is dropping the traffic because it has no rule matching the system name the remote node sends.

It's been awhile, but I recall it "just working" to set the server's IP address on the main node; that seemed to propagate to remote nodes just fine. A gotcha is that there is no way to configure the system name that the remote nodes will send to the syslog server --- it will be something involving their MAC address.

If it's not working for you, the first thing I'd check is the configuration of the syslog server. You might find that its firewall is dropping rsyslog packets from all but the main node, or that the rsyslog daemon itself is dropping the traffic because it has no rule matching the system name the remote node sends.
thanks, I'll check to see... both routers, and the receiving syslog server, are inside the LAN, no FW between anything. I have a script someone gave me that parses the log and matches MACs to entries for 'assoc' and 'dhcp'... I purely log devices that come on/off the network and when.

Almost all modern systems have some kernel-level packet filtering, which is what I meant by "firewall". You've got to check the rules that that is enforcing.

Almost all modern systems have some kernel-level packet filtering, which is what I meant by "firewall". You've got to check the rules that that is enforcing.
I dont know what you mean... where would I be checking such a thing - and what would it look like? For context, previously I had 3 separate ASUS routers, all sending syslogs to my central server... that worked just fine. I since changed to 2 routers using AImesh. I just weant the same end result... to know when a wireless client gets an IP from DHCP or get associated (assoc) with either router.

For context, previously I had 3 separate ASUS routers, all sending syslogs to my central server... that worked just fine.

OK, that would seem to invalidate my theory about the syslog server not being configured to accept these messages.

Looking at my notes, the setup process I used for my now-departed ASUS gear involved fully configuring the main router (including setting the remote log server address) before resetting and adding the nodes. So maybe the nodes will only absorb the log server setting when you first attach them to the main? It did work for me then, so the only other theory I have is that ASUS managed to break this feature since last year.

I use a non-standard port for syslog (22514 instead of 514)
When I added my Aimesh node, the syslog wasn't getting sent from the node.
I SSH'd into the node and found that while the correct IP had been transfered, the new port number hadn't. I just corrected it and it started working.

Try connecting to the node and typing
Code:
nvram show | grep -i "^log_"
, see what you get.

I use a non-standard port for syslog (22514 instead of 514)
When I added my Aimesh node, the syslog wasn't getting sent from the node.
I SSH'd into the node and found that while the correct IP had been transfered, the new port number hadn't. I just corrected it and it started working.

Try connecting to the node and typing
Code:
nvram show | grep -i "^log_"
, see what you get.
How do we setu the mesh node to accept SSH? My main Router uses a custom port for SSH (which works fine) but I dont see how to do it on the AImesh Node - I tried port 22 and the custom port I set on the main router, neither work. I have the latest Merlin on both.

thanks for the help!

How do we setu the mesh node to accept SSH?
I also have a custom port configured for SSH and it was copied to the node when I added it to Aimesh. The same port number and password works on the node as on the router.

I also have a custom port configured for SSH and it was copied to the node when I added it to Aimesh. The same port number and password works on the node as on the router.
I've tried custom port and port 22... says 'actively refused'

I wonder whether the ssh configuration is something that only gets copied over when initially adding a node, just as I was guessing for the remote log setup.

I think your next steps should be (1) make sure main and node are on the same firmware version, then (2) reset the node and re-add it to the mesh.

If that doesn't help --- I've heard multiple people opine that mesh nodes are better off running on Asus standard firmware, even if you use Merlin on the main. I have no personal experience with that, but I wonder if running Merlin on the node is contributing to these things not working as expected.

Yes, I think you should put Asus standard FW on the node, factory reset it, and then add it to Aimesh.