What's new

How to set up VPN QNAP NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nick002

New Around Here
I want to secure remote access to QNap NAS. Can it be easily done with a VPN profile? I read on net Virtual Private Networks are a great way to ensure your network connection to the outside world is private, as it should be. Though, I am still looking for the best VPN service and making sure to use it on my NAS.

The most secure way is to not enable VPN on your NAS (directly).

Do not use a paid-for VPN service here, use OpenVPN to create a 'server' on your router or trusted home computer. Then, use the OpenVPN client on your mobile device to connect back to that server, and, to your NAS.

Once connected to the OpenVPN server back home, you can navigate to your NAS as you would when home. By the IP address directly, or (depending on the mobile device you're using), by its name.

I do not enable VPN directly on my NAS (or any of my customers' either). Leave one additional level of security (and obscurity), by design.

Exactly what I am using. I have an OpenVPN server on my main router (An ASUS-AX88U). I can access my QNAP NAS just as the L&LD suggests. This works very well for me. Both for accessing my home equipment (routers and NAS) and for streaming movies. It also works very well to hide my IP address when I'm in other countries and want to access my local TV supplier's streaming services. A lot of the available material is unavailable when I am abroad.

However, OpenVPN only utilizes one of the four processors. It also doesn't have AES-NI, so file transfer speed is not that impressive - if I remember correctly about 2.5 MB/sec on a 500/500 mbit/sec connection.

That may be a limit of your 'abroad' connection, not OpenVPN, per se.

My bad! For some reason, I was unable to read these comments and subscribed to purevpn. No worries I will use it on my other devices and will for sure install openvpn.

Thank you so much, everyone!

To install OpenVPN client on your QNAP NAS you need to follow some basic step-

Step 1: Firstly you need to make sure that you're using QNAP2 because most of the VPNs have trouble in getting connected with older version.
Step 2: After this import .OVPN files and configure the connection.
Step 3: Test the VPN connection

To install OpenVPN client on your QNAP NAS you need to follow some basic step-
The post is quite old so hopefully they already had it figured out.

Recommendation, AVOID the QNAP VPN product. It has security hole. This is not their line of business. Use a proper device, like your router, to run a VPN if required.