What's new

Tutorial How to setup a VPN Server with Asus routers 380.68 updated 08.24

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is quite interesting. Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Is this basically a native function that works just like an ipsec site-to-site vpn tunnel?

Thanks a lot for this manual, was searching my *$$ off for the pptp option on my iphone but this works like a charm and now I can safely access my cameras without opening all kinds of http ports where they spill all the passwords.

So, this stopped working without having changed anything, my phone tells me the vpn is active but I cannot access my synology or my camera's usgin it. Is there anything I should check first?

I found that compression setting of None no longer worked for me with OpenVPV 2.4 on Merlin 380.65 + releases. Disabled, LZ4 and LZO adaptive worked though. I had to export a new opvn file after making the change.

Trying to get connected to my 56U. Of course, I'm stuck with PPTP for now. I'll upgrade the router at some point.

I set up the VPN server, then tried to connect with my Android phone, using the built-in VPN capability. I've tried dozens of configurations and settings, but I always get this error:

Apr 1 10:40:30 pptp[13979]: pppd 2.4.7 started by xxxxxxxxxxxx, uid 0
Apr 1 10:40:30 pptp[13979]: Using interface ppp10
Apr 1 10:40:30 pptp[13979]: Connect: ppp10 <--> pptp (66.87.9.252)
Apr 1 10:41:00 pptp[13979]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Apr 1 10:41:00 pptp[13979]: Connection terminated.
Apr 1 10:41:00 pptp[13979]: Modem hangup

While I realize that it's goofy, I can connect inside my LAN, so that tells me that something is working. I don't know enough about VPN to figure out what's wrong. I would like some feedback before I give up. Thanks,

Trying to get connected to my 56U. Of course, I'm stuck with PPTP for now. I'll upgrade the router at some point.

I set up the VPN server, then tried to connect with my Android phone, using the built-in VPN capability. I've tried dozens of configurations and settings, but I always get this error:

Apr 1 10:40:30 pptp[13979]: pppd 2.4.7 started by xxxxxxxxxxxx, uid 0
Apr 1 10:40:30 pptp[13979]: Using interface ppp10
Apr 1 10:40:30 pptp[13979]: Connect: ppp10 <--> pptp (66.87.9.252)
Apr 1 10:41:00 pptp[13979]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Apr 1 10:41:00 pptp[13979]: Connection terminated.
Apr 1 10:41:00 pptp[13979]: Modem hangup

While I realize that it's goofy, I can connect inside my LAN, so that tells me that something is working. I don't know enough about VPN to figure out what's wrong. I would like some feedback before I give up. Thanks,

Instead of using the built in option, try this instead.

In the guide, there is the step to export the certificate. Save the certificate to your laptop. Connect your phone to the laptop and copy the certificate to a location on the phone. Install the OpenVPN Conmect app on your phone. Open the app. Click the three dots in the right hand corner and select import. Select the certificate that you saved previously. It will know create a profile for your router. To test, connect to another wifi location and Select the profile that got created when you imported the certificate.

Instead of using the built in option, try this instead.

In the guide, there is the step to export the certificate. Save the certificate to your laptop. Connect your phone to the laptop and copy the certificate to a location on the phone. Install the OpenVPN Conmect app on your phone. Open the app. Click the three dots in the right hand corner and select import. Select the certificate that you saved previously. It will know create a profile for your router. To test, connect to another wifi location and Select the profile that got created when you imported the certificate.

Alas, I don't see an "export" feature on the VPN page. Unless I'm missing something, it appears that I need a newer router to get the OpenVPN features. Thanks.

Alas, I don't see an "export" feature on the VPN page. Unless I'm mising something, it appears that I need a newer router to get the OpenVPN features. Thanks.

What firmware version are you on? Are you trying to setup a VPN Server on your router so you can connect to it remotely? That was my understanding since that is the topic of this forum. Did you use the yorgi's guide on post 1 to set it up? Following is a screen shot of the export button. It only appears after you configure advance settings in VPN Details and apply the settings. Then, when you go to General, the export button appears..

upload_2017-4-3_0-40-38.png

It's an RT-N56U. No OpenVPN.

My VPN screen title is "VPN Server - PPTP"

3.0.0.4.380_7378-g7a25649

It's an RT-N56U. No OpenVPN.

My VPN screen title is "VPN Server - PPTP"

3.0.0.4.380_7378-g7a25649
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I can't help you. If you upgrade to Merlin Firmware, then my recommendation will work.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I can't help you. If you upgrade to Merlin Firmware, then my recommendation will work.

No worries. My bad for not being clear from the start. I just checked Merlin, and the 56U is not on the list. I could try Padavan bits or just get a new router. Cheers.

No worries. My bad for not being clear from the start. I just checked Merlin, and the 56U is not on the list. I could try Padavan bits or just get a new router. Cheers.
I thought you had an AC56U. My bad.

Get a new router! Now you have a perfect excuse. You can turn the old one into an access point to expand your coverage.

This is thread is old but I am posting anyway because it is timely to me. I have an T-mobile AC-1900 re-branded ASUS RT-AC68U router. I have been using the VPN server to remote desktop in without problem. Yesterday I signed up with a VPN service and installed it in the router VPN client. Both are using opvn. I can connect my Android phone using OpenVPN Connect app but when the client is enabled with the VPN provider I cannot tunnel in. Is it even possible to this?

I should explain that I would like to keep the VPN service always running on the router client when I am home. I also need to tunnel in to remote desktop my home PC when away (I use Splashtop but I can also use Windows RDT). The problem is that I know I will often forget to disable the VPN client on the router before I leave the house. If it is running I cannot connect remotely. I do have an old Linksys WRT-54GL with Tomato running on it. Maybe there is a way to connect the 2 routers and tunnel in that way?

Thanks.............MM

Last edited:
I found that compression setting of None no longer worked for me with OpenVPV 2.4 on Merlin 380.65 + releases. Disabled, LZ4 and LZO adaptive worked though. I had to export a new opvn file after making the change.
I have tried all methods didn't work for me gave up reversed back 380.64

Here is a screen shot of a working OpenVPN 2.4 Server on AC88U release 380.65_4. Hope it helps. I have no settings in custom configuration section.

upload_2017-4-9_10-2-28.png

Here is a screen shot of a working OpenVPN 2.4 Server on AC88U release 380.65_4. Hope it helps. I have no settings in custom configuration section.

@Xentrk I did tried the same config as screen shot on AC 56U still not work ,but will try again for a last time. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Try and export a new opvn file from the OpenVPN Server screen and install it on your client as well.

I just noticed this behavior...With 380.65 releases, OpenVPN Server will automatically push encryption AES-256-GCM to the clients if Cipher Negotiation is set to Disabled, overriding the cipher specified in the web gui and client ovpn file.

upload_2017-4-13_11-19-41.png

To fix this, add the option ncp-disable to Custom Configuration.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...65-is-now-available.37295/page-37#post-318182

Note: New OpenVPN 2.4.1 -- released on 2017.03.22. Can be obtained from:
https://openvpn.net/index.php/download/58-open-source/downloads.html

Hello,

Running 380.65_4 and with everything setup I export the .ovpn file and the cert and key are blank. I assumed it would generate one for the device but it didn't. Without this I am getting: OpenVPN core error : PolarSSL: error parsing ca certificate : X509 - The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid.

when trying to connect on Android "OpenVPN Connect" app.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxx.com 1194
float
cipher AES-128-CBC
auth SHA1
comp-lzo no
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server
<ca>
no
</ca>
<cert>
paste client certificate data here
</cert>
<key>
paste client key data here
</key>
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

Any idea how to fix this? On the router I see there is a static key, but no CA.