What's new

How to specify the default VLAN ID for a aggregated port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evilroach

New Around Here
Thank the author and the repliers of https://www.snbforums.com/threads/vlans-on-merlin-mini-howto.20529/, so that we know to config VLAN on Asuswrt/Merlin.

But I need to know how to configure the default VLAN ID of a aggregated port, so that all incoming frames with no tag from this port would be tagged automatically with this default id.
Because I have a aggregated link that there is some frames that belong no VLAN from it, I need tag these "naked" frames with a default VLAN ID.

thanks!

The procedure will vary between models, as different switches and different APIs are used. Anything involving robocfg for instance will not work on the Realtek ports of the RT-AC88U, or any of the HND-based models (RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U).

The procedure will vary between models, as different switches and different APIs are used. Anything involving robocfg for instance will not work on the Realtek ports of the RT-AC88U, or any of the HND-based models (RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U).
Thank you very much, RMerlin!

Instead, is there a way we can new a "virtual ethernet interface" that would lives on same LAN/VLAN but has another MAC address? Like we do it in OpenWRT by macvlan.

Instead, is there a way we can new a "virtual ethernet interface" that would lives on same LAN/VLAN but has another MAC address? Like we do it in OpenWRT by macvlan.

No idea.

Don't buy any Asus router!
1. The kernel can't be upgraded at all, so that you will stay Stone-Age with it forever);

This is the case for every single router, this has nothing to do with Asus... It's actually the case for every embedded device. Have you checked the kernel version used by your smartphone?

2. Most driver is closed source, so you will swim in your bathtub;

Again, has nothing to do with Asus. The drivers are closed source by the chip manufacturer, not by the router manufacturer. This is the same for every Broadcom/Qualcomm router sold by Asus, DLink, Netgear, TP-Link... you name it.

3. Almost there is no doc or tool that let us extend/add some features.

And once again, this has nothing to do with Asus, and will be the same for every single router manufacturer...

No idea.
This is the case for every single router, this has nothing to do with Asus... It's actually the case for every embedded device. Have you checked the kernel version used by your smartphone?
Again, has nothing to do with Asus. The drivers are closed source by the chip manufacturer, not by the router manufacturer. This is the same for every Broadcom/Qualcomm router sold by Asus, DLink, Netgear, TP-Link... you name it.
And once again, this has nothing to do with Asus, and will be the same for every single router manufacturer...

Sorry, I was wrong. In fact the reason why we can't upgrade newer kernel, is that Broadcom preserve the driver source closed.

I think it is worthy to upgrade kernel version for router's firmware, beacause of some new features such as BBR TCP algorithm. Is it ?

Thank you again, maybe I should get my opinion after I get more deeply familiar with Asuswrt.

I think it is worthy to upgrade kernel version for router's firmware, beacause of some new features such as BBR TCP algorithm. Is it ?

Not necessarily. A lot of those features are only of any use when you are running a core network router, not as a NAT router fronting an ISP. Congestion algorithm are only efficient if applied at both ends of the link, for instance.

Upgrading a kernel is never a trivial matter when it comes to embedded devices, which is why it's rarely ever done. Smartphone manufacturers for instance generally never upgrade the kernel for any given device. Sometimes, API changes would require making major changes to the drivers themselves. For instance, moving from 2.6.36 to any 3.x kernel would require rewriting portions of the wireless driver due to changes in locking mechanism that were introduced with 2.6.39 (if I remember correctly). Some modules (like the ipt_account module I use for IPTraffic in my firmware) no longer works past kernel 3.10, and would require to be completely rewritten from the ground up, as it relies on private Netfilter APIs that are no longer available beyond 3.10.

The typical useful life of these routers is about 5 years old, so there's little point in spending hundred of thousands of dollars in constant development work on a product that has a fairly low profit margin (keep in mind that Broadcom and Qualcomm are the ones who would have to deal with kernel upgrades, and they don't make much money per chip sold - integrators like Asus and Netgear are the ones making most of the profit there).

In the end, it amounts to a matter of economics. Paying engineers to keep developping the low level portions of their SDK would require a significant increase in device cost to make it worthwhile.

Asus is being much more active than the majority of other manufacturers in keeping the rest of the software stack up to date. While Asus has upgraded dnsmasq and openssl on a regular basis, lots of manufacuturers out there are still using 5-10 years old versions of these two critical components. A few years ago I cumulated this chart to see how router manufacturers compared. Asus came up on top as the most up-to-date one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CJ2kdQILQXydpaFBv9CW4/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0