What's new

How to test speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naper82

Occasional Visitor
I have Comcast Xfinity internet 600Mbps/20Mpbs package. Using modem SB6183, Asus RT68U with 384.17. One old desktop computer wired connect to the router and rest of them are all wireless.

On the mac /iphone that connects to 5G wifi, I am able to get 430Mbps/15Mbps.
The wired desktop only gets 110Mbps download I guess the limitation is on the Ethernet card, better just use a USB wifi adapter.

The SB6183 has a status page, but I can't seems to find anything for the download/upload speed

My question is how do I test that I get the speed that I'm supposed to get?

Thanks.

I have Comcast Xfinity internet 600Mbps/20Mpbs package. Using modem SB6183, Asus RT68U with 384.17. One old desktop computer wired connect to the router and rest of them are all wireless.

The wired desktop only gets 110Mbps download I guess the limitation is on the Ethernet card, better just use a USB wifi adapter.

The SB6183 has a status page, but I can't seems to find anything for the download/upload speed

My question is how do I test that I get the speed that I'm supposed to get?

Thanks.

From the Arris site:

"The SB6183 is best for internet speed plans up to 300 Mbps."

I would wire a PC with a Gigabit Ethernet adapter to the modem and run speedtest.net or nperf.com to see what your ISP and modem deliver. Then work downstream from there.

If that is Asuswrt-Merlin on the AC68U, doesn't it have an Internet Speed Test built-in?

OE

From the Arris site:

"The SB6183 is best for internet speed plans up to 300 Mbps."

I would wire a PC with a Gigabit Ethernet adapter to the modem and run speedtest.net or nperf.com to see what your ISP and modem deliver. Then work downstream from there.

If that is Asuswrt-Merlin on the AC68U, doesn't it have an Internet Speed Test built-in?

OE

The SB6183 website says "speeds up to 686 Mbps" and also says "The SB6183 is best for internet speed plans up to 300 Mbps." :D
Maybe I need a new one to take full advantage of it, SB8200 has 2 gigbit ports so should be enough, and bonus is can have two separate home networks, Amazon has it for $149.99 now. Do you have any recommendation?

For speedtest, are you referring spdMerlin? I haven't install any script yet.

Thank you.

The SB6183 website says "speeds up to 686 Mbps" and also says "The SB6183 is best for internet speed plans up to 300 Mbps." :D
Maybe I need a new one to take full advantage of it, SB8200 has 2 gigbit ports so should be enough, and bonus is can have two separate home networks, Amazon has it for $149.99 now. Do you have any recommendation?

For speedtest, are you referring spdMerlin? I haven't install any script yet.

Thank you.

I would wire a Gigabit PC to your modem and speed test it. If you get ISP speeds, then use that modem until it expires. Make sure the PC adapter link rate is 1 Gbps... you can query this in the Windows connection status.

Otherwise, I would buy a new Arris modem that is on your ISP approved modem list. The SB8200 is a worthy modem... preferably in black, if you can find one.

OE

I would wire a Gigabit PC to your modem and speed test it. If you get ISP speeds, then use that modem until it expires. Make sure the PC adapter link rate is 1 Gbps... you can query this in the Windows connection status.

Otherwise, I would buy a new Arris modem that is on your ISP approved modem list. The SB8200 is a worthy modem... preferably in black, if you can find one.

OE

Thanks. I will try to do the test first. Need to find a time that no family members are trying to use internet :D

The wired desktop only gets 110Mbps download I guess the limitation is on the Ethernet card...
Make sure you have a gigabit- capable ethernet cable, cat 5e or above. I made that mistake once.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!