What's new

How's the Edimax br-6675nd Dual Band Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"I did a constant ping to the internet to watch for dropped packets. It does seem to drop a packet every now and then but overall holding up for the most part."

To assess WiFi, if instead of an Internet host, you could ping your gateway address (like 192.168.1.1) from a WiFi client, then dropped packets can be blamed on WiFi. Pinging an internet host will add some packets that were lost by your ISP or the Internet cloud or the distant host.

PingPlotter (shareware) is a useful tool for long term statistics on dropped packets and latency.

"I did a constant ping to the internet to watch for dropped packets. It does seem to drop a packet every now and then but overall holding up for the most part."

To assess WiFi, if instead of an Internet host, you could ping your gateway address (like 192.168.1.1) from a WiFi client, then dropped packets can be blamed on WiFi. Pinging an internet host will add some packets that were lost by your ISP or the Internet cloud or the distant host.

PingPlotter (shareware) is a useful tool for long term statistics on dropped packets and latency.

Yes, you are quite right on that. But I pinged out to the internet to exercise the entire path from wireless laptop through the router processing out to the WAN.
I did ping the router interface only at 192.168.1.1 and it holds up very well.

So my view on this set of Broadcom chipsets and Asus' RF amps have now changed and I take back the blanket statement I inferred earlier that I did not like Broadcom chipset based routers. This Asus Broadcom based router is holding up very stable (on its default out of the box firmware version *.112) thus far. Keep in mind however that I am not using nor enabling all the fancy features (like USB port disc sharing, Dual WAN, etc.) I am speaking for the functioning of the fundamental basic ability to connect and pass reliable traffic and hold up a 100% stable connection 24/7 all year(s) around. So far this router has been stable and strong, excellent signal everywhere I need it.
If it continues to stay up and hold up, I will remain extremely happy with it.
Contrast this Asus NT66U router with the New Netgear R6300 I returned and its day and night difference between the two Broadcom based routers. The R6300 was piss poor for me. The Asus is shining like a star.

Yes, you are quite right on that. But I pinged out to the internet to exercise the entire path from wireless laptop through the router processing out to the WAN.
I did ping the router interface only at 192.168.1.1 and it holds up very well.

So my view on this set of Broadcom chipsets and Asus' RF amps have now changed and I take back the blanket statement I inferred earlier that I did not like Broadcom chipset based routers.
Right... troubleshooting 101/testing is to minimize and start there, then add more complexity. So pinging the >LAN< gateway IP address in the router is step one, to prove the WiFi is or is not the culprit.
After than, you should ping the first hop - to test if the culprit is your ISP. To do this, use the Windows command tracert somehost.com. This will tell you the first hop to your ISP- it is often an address like 10.x.x.x. Here, your
re really testing your DSL or cable modem path to their switch. That is as likely as your WiFi to have problems at certain times of the day or seasons.

If both of these prove OK, then ping or pingplot to a reliable internet host such as 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8. Excessive faults here point to your ISP and their backbone on the Internet - often from vendor Level3 who is notoriously overloaded.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!