What's new

HOWTO: use a Let's Encrypt ssl certificate on HTTPS web interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm currently using self-signed certificates for router.asus.com, since I don't want to expose the web GUI to the world.

However, RMerlin 380.65 apparently can change that host name. Can I set it to <name>.asuscomm.com and now use Let's Encrypt without exposing the web GUI outside my LAN?

I do not see the reason the issue global trusted ssl certificate for home router web gui if not need to manage it thru WAN interface.
I also do not see the reason to open home router web management access to whole Internet. If you have use case to manage it remotely, you can easily create a VPN tunnel to the router or internal hosts.

However, RMerlin 380.65 apparently can change that host name.

You've always had the ability to change it, there's nothing new there. I merely ensured that any configured hostname had priority over the built-in one (router.asus.com) when resolving the router's IP using your router's dnsmasq.

You've always had the ability to change it, there's nothing new there. I merely ensured that any configured hostname had priority over the built-in one (router.asus.com) when resolving the router's IP using your router's dnsmasq.
Ah, then I misunderstood the release notes. Thank you for clearing this up.

FWIW https://acme.sh works fine too, only requiring bash. Much lighter than the original LE client ! And it supports DNS based auth as well :)
https is all about trust and thinking that DV are any less safe than OV or EV is wishful thinking ! Do you know all CAs in your browser and what countries are behind them ?
And having green everywhere (even for private stuff) allows one to stop the bad habit of bypassing self-signed and invalid certs like a robot (which is becoming more and more painful as browsers upgrade).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!