What's new

HP Printer wifi issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobyang

Regular Contributor
I am facing an unknown situation. I have a short-term solution but I don't know how to solve it in long term. I have searched on google and I don't see anything related.

I have a HP LaserJet cp1525nw.

I used tomatoUSB before, and everything was working without any issues. Last month I switched to Asuswrt-Merlin. I have the same setup but the printer won't connect to wifi at all. However, if I create a Guest Network with the same setting, then the printer has no problem to connect. Is there any way I can connect the printer to my regular 2.4GHz SSID wifi instead of the guest network which I really don't want to create? Thanks

I have also disabled "Protected Management Frames" for 2.4Ghz but it doesn't help.

when I got to Tools->Wireless Client (2.4GH), I found "Associated: 10 - Authorized: 9 - Authenticated: 10"

Thanks

Attachments

• 2020-11-18 13 02 38.jpg
    2020-11-18 13 02 38.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 2020-11-18 13 02 48.jpg
    2020-11-18 13 02 48.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 2020-11-18 13 02 18.jpg
    2020-11-18 13 02 18.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 139
Forget and re-associate the printer to the new network equipment.

Thanks for replying.

yes, I have reset the printer, router, and I have also change the router SSID but nothing helps. Thanks

Forget and re-associate the printer to the new network equipment.

Last edited:
Did resetting the printer actually reset the Network though?

Several hits on HP’s forums about connecting to a new router. This one seems most promising:

Thanks Dave for finding this. Yes. this is the way I setup my printer wifi and I don't use WPS way. It only works with guest network SSID, not my regular SSID

Several hits on HP’s forums about connecting to a new router. This one seems most promising:

And, to be 100% certain, you do not use a saved backup config file, correct?

Thanks Dave for finding this. Yes. this is the way I setup my printer wifi and I don't use WPS way. It only works with guest network SSID, not my regular SSID
What does the router wireless log page show about the printer when connected to guest?
What is the difference in complexity between the main ssid password and the guest 123 password? Is this printer Wireless N or is it b/g only?

Thanks all.

Finally, I make it work after playing around with the router wifi setting :). here are the steps I make it work if you don't want to use Guest Network :)

NOTE: even "Protected Management Frames" is "Disabled" but the printer still cannot using wifi.

1. in the router, go to wireless, select 2.4GHz
2. " Authentication Method " "WPA-Auto-Personal"
3. "WPA Encryption " "TKIP+AES"
4. "Protected Management Frames" is "Disabled"
5. "Apply"
6. go to the printer web -> "Networking" -> "Wireless Config" -> Status "on" -> select SSID ->Authentication: "Auto (WPA or WPA2)" "Auto(AES or TKIP)" and enter password -> "Apply"
7. wait for 30 seconds, and the printer should be connected
8. back to the router page, now, you can change Authentication Method back to WPA2 and it should still work without any issue.

1605745695836.png

I want to turn off the wifi (to clean up the airwaves in my neighbourhood) being broadcast by my HP printer/scanner because it's wired to my router, but I can't seem to find the way...and this is my 2nd HP machine. SMH.

Turn off the wireless direct options from the printer front panel menu and it should stop broadcasting the SSID.

I want to turn off the wifi (to clean up the airwaves in my neighbourhood) being broadcast by my HP printer/scanner because it's wired to my router, but I can't seem to find the way...and this is my 2nd HP machine. SMH.