What's new

HTTP URL is to bring up system command line box? for stock RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The_bhagwan

New Around Here
I've seen the hidden URL before. I know it exists. Someone posted it on the internet and I tried it. But I lost the hidden router URL address. I know I can telnet into the thing and that's probably more powerful. But can anyone tell me what that mystery HTTP URL is to get into system command line entry? I know Tomato and other firmware have this. But I'm interested in the same function on stock firmware. Thanks

No, that doesn't work on my RT-AC68U running RMerlin firmware. It simply redirects to the main login page.

I know you want it to work for stock firmware, but this data point is a free bump for you. ;)

Merlin completely removed the code for that page a long time ago, so someone couldn't do what you are attempting for security reasons. I *think* ASUS did the same, but not sure.

I don't think Stock firmware ever had that page it was unique to Merlin firmware.

Tomato still has that page though.

I don't think Stock firmware ever had that page it was unique to Merlin firmware.

Asus had the page but it was hidden. At one point, they "secured" it by limiting which programs could be run through that page. Not sure if they eventually removed it entirely or not, but last I've seen, it was very limited.

Asus had the page but it was hidden.

It appears after logging into the router you can still access that page.

Never knew it was there or I have just forgotten about it.

Capture.JPG

But if they kept the limitations they used to have, you can only run very specific commands, such as starting telnetd.

But if they kept the limitations they used to have, you can only run very specific commands, such as starting telnetd.

They really need to make that go away...

I know it's a left-over from upstream, but as such, it's a security risk...

They really need to make that go away...

I know it's a left-over from upstream, but as such, it's a security risk...

Why do you think I ditched that page long ago, and always refused to bow to pressure from users wanting it back...

The command window is present in official Asus firmware version .7378. Is there any way to disable this thing? It makes me nervous.

The command window is present in official Asus firmware version .7378. Is there any way to disable this thing? It makes me nervous.

Are you able to run anything through it tho? Asus used to only allow some very specific commands in the past.

No I am not able to run any commands. Is there a list of available commands somewhere?

You'll have to study the source code to know what is allowed. I haven't looked at that part of the code in years, but back then, it only allowed "telnetd".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!