What's new

I bought a Chinese RT-AC86U should I be worried about security & privacy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

liukuohao

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

I bought a Chinese version RT-AC86U.

It is chinese version because of this:

2023-02-23_14-06-08.jpg

How to remove it totally?

It bothers me because I don't really trust the Chinese firmware with preinstalled plug-in.

To remove it, do I need to reflash a complete new image?

Thank you.

You bought a Chinese router when you already know you don't trust Chinese firmware ?

You may well find you can't flash firmware for other regions .

This is not NEWS so please edit your thread title.

You bought a Chinese router when you already know you don't trust Chinese firmware ?

You may well find you can't flash firmware for other regions .

This is not NEWS so please edit your thread title.
The seller did not specify that the 2nd hand router was actually from China.

I have edited my Title, no more "NEWS" as prefix.

You can't remove the UU Accelerator, it's part of the base firmware (regardless of region). It only becomes visible in the GUI on Chinese models as it's a China-only service.

Don't worry, that feature is only for "weather research".

Isn't ASUS a Taiwanese company? Is the firmware developed in China or Taiwan? I suspect the latter, but not sure at all.

Is there a privacy policy you have to accept before enabling it (eg with AiProtection by Trend Micro)

I suppose you could just leave it turned off

As for if the firmware pings chinese servers, I have no idea on that, you need someone with deeper knowledge of the chinese firmware

But do note that IIRC the Chinese models have lower power outputs on the wireless due to regulations, so do be aware of that

All your comments posted are news to me. I will need to find out more information.

As far as I can tell the power supply unit is meant for China market.

Power supply doesn't matter - what we're saying is even the China market routers have firmware developed in Taiwan, not China.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!