What's new

I can't add openvpn users

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shouldn’t a simple reboot then fix this issue, if maestr0’s observation is correct and related to the issue?

I have exactly the same problem and despite multiple reboots and multiple attempts with different browsers, I cannot add or remove users and the passwords seem to be scrambled because none of the accounts I registered work (all faill with
PLUGIN AUTH-PAM: BACKGROUND: user '(redacted)' failed to authenticate: authentication error
Sep 8 15:35:34 ovpn-server1[5500]: 192.168.1.69:49873 PLUGIN_CALL: POST /usr/lib/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so/PLUGIN_AUTH_USER_PASS_VERIFY status=1

So how can we properly fix this, without resetting the enture router? Ive been dreading it since my last post.

I have a very similar problem. Every few days, my OpenVPN clients lose complete connectivity. The only to restore connectivity is by deleting each user/password and re-adding them. Since I have about 10 clients, it is faster to restore a settings file restores complete client access. I never had this problem with previous Merlin firmware. Also, the passwords do not display. All that is shown is *****. My firmware version is 386.3_2 on a RT-AC68U.

Last edited:
I have a very similar problem. Every few days, my OpenVPN clients lose complete connectivity. The only to restore connectivity is by deleting each user/password and re-adding them. Since I have about 10 clients, it is faster to restore a settings file restores complete client access. I never had this problem with previous Merlin firmware. Also, the passwords do not display. All that is shown is *****. My firmware version is 386.3_2 on a RT-AC68U.
Your symptoms are not the same as those being discussed in this thread. I suggest you create a new thread for your problem.

I came across the issue last week on a rt-ax86u on 386.3 firmware, to fix it without resetting the device to factory defaults, was by re-setting the ovpn servers to default in the Gui.
Warning: you will loose both servers current settings.

I have no idea what the problem is either, but I threw together the following little script that allows you to define and install your username/passwords directly into nvram. After specifying your own username/passwords, simply open an ssh session and copy/paste it into the window.

Code:
clist='
user1 password1
user2 password2
user3 password3
'
x=''
OIFS="$IFS"; IFS=$'\n'
for i in $clist; do
    x="$x<$(echo $i | awk '{print $1}')>$(echo $i | awk '{print $2}')"
done
IFS="$OIFS"
nvram set vpn_serverx_clientlist="$x"
nvram commit

Just be careful since the script does NOT prevent invalid characters (<>&) or allow embedded blanks in username or password.

It obviously doesn't address the underlying problem, but at least you can get your username/passwords operational. It would be interesting to know if once these were installed correctly using the script, then you hit Apply (or even rebooted), whether they became corrupted again.
Thanks for your script!

I used it to wipe the existing users and create a new user. Afterwards I could not get the user / password combination to work (maybe I did something wrong when pasting the script on the commandline).

However, I could actually use the user interface again to delete the user I'd just created and add new users to the list. These users do work for me so problem solved.

Maybe this approach works for others too.

I came across the issue last week on a rt-ax86u on 386.3 firmware, to fix it without resetting the device to factory defaults, was by re-setting the ovpn servers to default in the Gui.
Warning: you will loose both servers current settings.
This worked for me! Firmware 386.3: I tried resetting server settings using the "Default" button at the bottomr and I can now add users. Thank you.

Last edited:
I finally resorted to setting the vpn-server back to default via the Default button on the VPN Server page (after safeguarding the configuration). Reconfigured the VPN server and was then able to create new users. All fine now.

I've experienced a similar problem. Was unable to create/delete OpenVPN users. RT-AX56U with Firmware Version:386.3_2 .Had to use the "Default" option.
Prior to this issue to appear used custom script for ebtables.

Had another post up about this when I was pointed over to this tread. Had the same issue that most in here were having, description can be found in my post HERE. After reading through this thread I ended up doing the same and reverting back to Default on the VPN Server page and everything is working like it should, thanks all!

I am running RT-AC68U for many years. Suddenly, in the last 4-5 months I have issues with VPN users.
I cannot delete users.
I can add users, but when I click save, it does not actually save.

In console I see:

The script from “https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/10...593981617634752_1639896342178&_=1639896342179” was loaded even though its MIME type (“text/html”) is not a valid JavaScript MIME type.
Advanced_VPN_OpenVPN.asp
Uncaught SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<'
1004472:4

I checked the Uncaught SyntaxError, and this leads to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/10...593981617634752_1639896342178&_=1639896342179 where first 3 lines are empty.

Last edited:
Resetting the VPN-server fixed it, granted it deleted all the users and passwords, but now it works and have been for weeks.

After each restart of the router, I have to delete many of the users, and recreate them manually...

After each restart of the router, I have to delete many of the users, and recreate them manually...
VPN passwords getting re-hashed every reboot is fixed in 386.4 beta.