What's new

I hate when people get Fiber & do not get any ethernet ports installed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Wifi is ok but not perfect. Wire will always be king.

Plus their gateway/modem is not even in the middle of the house. Oh well.

At least I tried.

Do you all think you will ever get maximum speed on Wifi for Fiber ? I am talking about 1 Gbps + speeds. Highly doubt it.

I have seen a single AX two-stream STA to achieve > 1 Gbps throughput in my clean RF test environment with high signal levels. You need > 1 Gbps Ethernet on the AP, of course.

It will be more common to see > 1 GbE throughput with WiFi 6E and 160 MHz wide channels.

What do you need all that bandwidth for on a single device?

Most people just order Internet and connect to ISP provided equipment with SSID/pass provided by the ISP technician. Most networks around me are called BELLxxx or Rogersxxxx - the ISP router default SSID's. If Facebook/Instagram opens and YouTube/Netflix works - all good.

I have seen a single AX two-stream STA to achieve > 1 Gbps throughput in my clean RF test environment with high signal levels. You need > 1 Gbps Ethernet on the AP, of course.

It will be more common to see > 1 GbE throughput with WiFi 6E and 160 MHz wide channels.

What do you need all that bandwidth for on a single device?

If your a gamer to download large games.

While the RT-AX86U is capable of greater than 1Gbps wireless speeds, I was surprised to see this at a customer's home with an RT-AX68U. Even if I was less than 30' from the router and line of sight to my laptop with an Intel AX210 adaptor.

Excellent job Asus and RMerlin! :)

It is not really about the speed but the weak signal further from the gateway/modem and router sense it is not in the middle of the house. Like the back bedrooms. The living room and kitchen is fine.

It is impossible to put it in the middle of the house too without running a Ethernet cable across a doorway. :( I don't think they will have ethernet cable installed in the wall or fished through the wall either.

I guess there is always mesh but that is expensive. Would that even work well ? Plus possible without any Ethernet jacks in the walls ?

Wifi is ok but not perfect. Wire will always be king.

Plus their gateway/modem is not even in the middle of the house. Oh well.

At least I tried.

Do you all think you will ever get maximum speed on Wifi for Fiber ? I am talking about 1 Gbps + speeds. Highly doubt it.

Real gamers never use WiFi. WiFi? You are already dead.

It is not really about the speed but the weak signal further from the gateway/modem and router sense it is not in the middle of the house. Like the back bedrooms. The living room and kitchen is fine.

It is impossible to put it in the middle of the house too without running a Ethernet cable across a doorway. :( I don't think they will have ethernet cable installed in the wall or fished through the wall either.

I guess there is always mesh but that is expensive. Would that even work well ? Plus possible without any Ethernet jacks in the walls ?
I use WiFi only for phone, tabs, IoT devices which only have wireless connection. Wired is always perfect. I have ethernet ports on every walls in my home.
I don't even use Wireless Mesh. Wireless mesh is just trash. Ethernet backhaul is much better.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!