What's new

I shouldent have bought the XT8, replacer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shaky

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I shouldent have bought the XT8, should have listened to the warnings... but they worked good during my two weeks of testing before I decided to keep them. Now a few months later they are not that good anymore.... IoT devices keeps loosing connection, like Google Nest speakers and other smart plugs/lights. Tried different "solutions" I found but non helped so far. The range is not that good either...

So I am looking to replace them. With what..? Only wireless backhaul.
I looked at Asus XT12.. but... will it have the same issues as the XT8? It has better range right?
I also considered 2 x Asus GT-AX6000. But they are only dual band..

What would the better buy running AiMesh? XT12 or GT-AX6000?

Thanks,
Andreas

Last edited:
I was also disappointed with the XT8's even though they had been working fine the first few weeks. I found my devices often lose internet connection while still connected to one of the XT8's. The problem persisted even after the XT8's got the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.388_22525). Turned out, it's that weird thing of successfully getting a stable system after having done multiple times of the same thing (performing hard reset on all my AiMesh devices and do a fresh setup) which hadn’t worked earlier.

The router itself is fine (ZenWiFi XT8). Slow hardware and overpriced, but okay. I've purchased one single unit for a friend of mine. His wife is interior designer - strict no sticking antennas policy. As single unit it has no critical issues on any firmware. Usual Asuswrt quirks here and there, but covers 2-storey 1200sqft townhouse with enough Wi-Fi. AiMesh is the problem, especially wireless. The "node" is essentially a Repeater. Like with any repeater - it works for some, it doesn't for others. Not only software quality, but environment factors on top in play. YMMV with any routers and wireless AiMesh.

If you insist on Asus and AiMesh - pick your poison and test your luck.

If you want good "mesh" and don't care about too many options to play with - Nest Wifi Pro or eero Pro.

:)

Just want a system that is stable, fast and good coverage. Alos to be able to game while conected to a node over wifi. I tried TP-link deco XE75 and on that it was not possible to game on connected to the node. XT8 works good for that.
We dont have Eero in Sweden. Maybe should try out Nest Wifi Pro, i guess is should not loose connection to Nest sepakers with that one :)

If you have options to try something and return it if it doesn't work as expected - go ahead. Don't take advice from folks living in different regions - the same model equipment is set differently to comply with local RF regulations and the houses are built from different materials. I own places in N. America and Europe and my Wi-Fi solutions are completely different.

:)

Just want a system that is stable, fast and good coverage. Alos to be able to game while conected to a node over wifi. I tried TP-link deco XE75 and on that it was not possible to game on connected to the node. XT8 works good for that.
We dont have Eero in Sweden. Maybe should try out Nest Wifi Pro, i guess is should not loose connection to Nest sepakers with that one :)
I can chime in here... ;) I seem to be the only one in these forums running this crazy config...

Code:
Internet <--> Asus AX-6000 <--> Google Nest Wifi Pro Router X 3 Google Nest Wifi Pro Mesh Nodes
                           <--> Asus AC86U (for testing/dev)

I literally have close to 60 devices running on the Google Wifi... this is considered our "home network". All IoT (on the Google guest network), Google home speakers, lights, appliances, all other home automations, phones, laptops, etc... are on this network.

My AX-6000 acts as the firewall, blocking inbound/outbound traffic coming to/from the Google Wifi... This network is also forced to comply with my VPN rules, as all traffic from the Google Wifi goes out over NordVPN via the AX-6000.

It all seems to work out well. This way I can also control everything through the Google Home app, and have everything in one place. Highly recommended. And this stuff just plainly works... right out of the box. You don't have to jump through crazy hoops to get the mesh network to talk. It just works. ;)

PS. I had the Google Nest Wifi before this, and do have to say the Nest Wifi Pro is 100x better... better coverage, speeds, etc.

Thx for the answers.

But XT12 vs GT-AX6000? :)
Tri-band AX11000 vs two-band AX6000 on wireless backhaul only? The XT12 wins by far.

My XT8's have been very stable as the nodes to GT-AX11000 Pro as the main since all got the latest firmware and a hard reset. I chose AX11000 Pro to keep the tri-band environment. I'd probably choose the XT12 had it was officially available in my country.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!