What's new

I think my RT-AC86U has a backdoor virus, how do i get rid of it? Please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thought I would add a thought on the random names. Don't some wireless devices, iPhones?, change their connection MAC every time they reconnect? I think this is being done as some kind of security matter. If so then the router will see a different MAC address hardware device each time. The router maintains a cache history for sometime before it's automatically deleted from history of an active connection.

But iPhones only once? (see my previous post in this thread).

Yep I had to do a quick read on how IOS works with this. Looks like it uses the same random mac address for each network so I would assume it would be the same in this situation. Guess that would not be an issue here.

based on what the OP has described of his actions ie. he has tried to rename devices but they getting changed, it sounds like its the random MAC address thingamajig happening.

But even if MAC addresses would change a lot (which they don’t on iOS), that would not explain why all those devices have an English/Asian name?

But even if MAC addresses would change a lot (which they don’t on iOS), that would not explain why all those devices have an English/Asian name?
The router firmware sometimes only identifies the equipment via the chipset manufacturer name. That's why you have to sometimes edit the name being used. But as the OP suggested he renamed them but they appeared again with the odd names(identity). So as was suggested by someone either the renaming was not being saved or these are new instances of access on the router.

For instance on my Asus routers I had to go through and set specific names to most of the attached devices. Sometimes they were identified correctly(more or less) and sometimes the identity was only a MAC address and others the chipset manufacturers name, which tends to be foreign. Even a brand new Android phone is misidentified. iPhones are usually identified as an IOS device?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!