What's new

Identify guest network clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

b33r

New Around Here
Hi,

Asus merlin 380.65 running on an AC-68U.

Is it possible to see a list of clients who are connected to just Guest networks? I can see them in the client list from the network map but, unless I'm missing something, can't tell if they're on the regular network or a guest one.

Further to this, if a client is connected to the guest network do things like Ai Protection, QOS and traffic analyser still work/apply?

Many thanks

Hi,

Asus merlin 380.65 running on an AC-68U.

Is it possible to see a list of clients who are connected to just Guest networks? I can see them in the client list from the network map but, unless I'm missing something, can't tell if they're on the regular network or a guest one.

Further to this, if a client is connected to the guest network do things like Ai Protection, QOS and traffic analyser still work/apply?

Many thanks
System-Log-->Wireless-Log. "G" in Flag column indicates Guest. As far as I am aware you cannot tell which Guest network other than the 2.4 -5 GHz designation.

System-Log-->Wireless-Log. "G" in Flag column indicates Guest. As far as I am aware you cannot tell which Guest network other than the 2.4 -5 GHz designation.

Cool, thanks! Be really handy if could identify them in the network map.

Anyone have any idea on my further question of if the services still "work" with clients connected as a guest?

Another question I just thought of, anyone know if I could set up some kind of alert (email i guess) when any client connects? Specifically to the guest network but I guess any would be a start. I've just learnt the router can run user scripts, would it likely have to be done with a script I would have to craft?

Cool, thanks! Be really handy if could identify them in the network map.

Anyone have any idea on my further question of if the services still "work" with clients connected as a guest?

Another question I just thought of, anyone know if I could set up some kind of alert (email i guess) when any client connects? Specifically to the guest network but I guess any would be a start. I've just learnt the router can run user scripts, would it likely have to be done with a script I would have to craft?

In terms of other functionality, if the function(s) you're referencing are granular at the client level then if shouldn't matter their origin (from the LAN perspective) whether Wired or Wireless, or which SSID. Be aware when setting up a Guest network that restricts local intranet access there may be restrictions.

In terms of other modifications I suggest reading https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki Actually I suggest you devour it! With regard to specific thoughts and ideas use the search function on this forum. This forum has a wealth of information of others likely doing something similar. As an aside the latest firmware does include information on sending email through scripting.

This script will log new Wi-Fi guests to syslog. It requires that the guest use DHCP, so it unfortunately doesn't work if the guest uses a static IP address.

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
dhcp-script=/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq-event.sh

/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq-event.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/logger -t $(/usr/bin/basename $0) "custom script started [$$]"
finish()  {
  /usr/bin/logger -t $(/usr/bin/basename $0) "custom script ended [$$]"
}
trap finish EXIT

action="$1"
macaddr="$2"

# log new guest network clients
if [ "$action" == "add" ]; then
  for if_guest in $(/usr/sbin/nvram get wl0_vifs) $(/usr/sbin/nvram get wl1_vifs); do
    /usr/sbin/wl -i $if_guest assoclist | /bin/grep -qi $macaddr
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
      /usr/bin/logger -t $(/usr/bin/basename $0) "new device $macaddr joined guest network $if_guest [$$]"
      break
    fi
  done
fi

This script will log new Wi-Fi guests to syslog. It requires that the guest use DHCP, so it unfortunately doesn't work if the guest uses a static IP address.

Nice. Wasn't aware dnsmasq could be event driven. Will attempt a variation of this myself.